Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water in bilge 3807

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
VicB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3807

Water in bilge 3807

Postby VicB » December 15th, 2018, 6:39 pm

So we went to check in the boat today and do some odds and ends. I found the engine compartment had some water around the bilge pump. It’s not pumping in auto. I did find a broken wire laying in the water, but I don’t see a float switch. It’s an Attwood 1500 gph. Not sure why it’s not pumping in auto and not sure where the water is coming from. Both shafts drip a drop about every ten seconds from the packing. Is that normal? Should the bilge be dry? I’d say it was about 2 to 3 gallons over two weeks. I guess I have two questions, 1 bilge pump set up on an 88’ 3807 and 2 is the water issue even an issue?
Last edited by VicB on December 15th, 2018, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Water in bilge 3807

Postby bud37 » December 15th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Sorry Vic I can't answer your specific question but I will comment on the wire you found in the bilge.....test it and if it has 12volts live then string it up out of the water until you can figure out what is up.....12v leakage in the bilge water can cause mucho damage to metal underwater parts.

Oh what color is the loose wire?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
1990 Proline 17CC
2018 Regal 1900ESX

Postby tomschauer » December 15th, 2018, 7:16 pm

The bilge umps wont empty the bilge completely. Usually you need at least an inch or two deep at the float to turn on the pump and it turns off at about a 1/2" at the float. So, a little water is no big deal. I would however, be make certain the pump does work automatically. Some pumps have the float built into the pump inside the strainer. If this is the case you wouldn't see it and may be why you have the extra wire. It may have been the manual on power feed, and the previous owner didn't connect it.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 15th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Having a bit of water is normal, especially if you have regular shaft logs. I always have about 3/8" at the lowest part of the bilge. If your shafts drip once every 10 seconds that's pretty good. Once every 2-3 seconds while the shaft is turning is OK.

I put a very small automatic 500GPH pump right next to my main bilge pump. It will pump down to about 1/4-3/8" and uses very little current. The main bilge pump still has an auto float switch and also can be manually activated.

VicB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby VicB » December 15th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Bud, I think it was brown. I did get it out of the water, but didn’t check it with a meter. Thanks for the reminder about the corrosion issue. Just learning about that. Im pretty sure there almost has to be a float somewhere. When pumping in manual I saw water leaking where it discharges out the hull., next Saturday i’ll trace it out all the way when I replace or repair the hose. Maybe I’ll find the float. It wouldn’t make sense not to have one. If not I will need to get one and wire it in parallel with the manual circuit. Thanks for the reply. It’s just on my mind and I wanted to get some thoughts. I’ve always had trailered boats so having one in the water all the time brings on new experiences.

VicB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby VicB » December 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Km1125, that’s what I needed to know. Hoping the dripping shaft was normal. 10 seconds might have been a stretch, but it’s a very slow drip. I’m thinking that may be my water source over a couple of week span. I just need to get my pump going on auto and it wouldn’t even be noticeable. Thank you for the reply.

Canada
Agriman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby Agriman » December 16th, 2018, 12:48 pm

You may not have a float on your pump. My pump works by sensor only and have no float attached.

United States of America
buster53
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 356

Postby buster53 » December 16th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Are you sure you have enough water in the bilge to activate your bilge pump? As others said, the pump may have an integrated float switch as opposed to a separate switch.
One way to find out...stick a hose in your bilge and turn on the water. It won't take long to have your questions answered.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 16th, 2018, 3:00 pm

VicB wrote:Source of the post Bud, I think it was brown.

If so , generally they use brown for bilge pump power feed wiring........ looks like maybe someone has been in there.....

United States of America
buster53
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 356

Postby buster53 » December 16th, 2018, 3:05 pm

By the way, I used to have a 3807 and it came standard with 3 bilge pumps. If I recall, the forward one was accessed thru a floor opening in the galley. Mid pump was in the engine room and aft pump accessed thru an opening in the aft cabin. In addition to switches at the helm, there were also switches in the aft cabin closet and if you weren't careful, you could easily turn them off when hanging clothes in the closet.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”