Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass shopping

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ataylor233
First Mate
First Mate

Windlass shopping

Postby ataylor233 » January 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

I have a carver 3207 aft cabin ... i need a Windlass i've been shopping and i've come up with a Lewmar V700g windlass does anyone have this? i'm not worried about the install that's the easy part for me the hard part is making the choice and getting the right equipment. i have a bout 10 feet of Chain and 200 ft of Rope. any advice would be appreciated.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Windlass shopping

Postby bud37 » January 27th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I installed a Good Automatic on the last boat.....solid, solid stuff, quality parts/ switches/ relays made in the US, there were no offshore parts in the one I had......nice people, family outfit in NJ......check em out.
If I had to replace the Maxwell on the boat now I would get the Good. Thats my 2 cents...good luck man....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » January 28th, 2019, 5:33 am

I have that windlass and LOVE it! replaced the ancient GOOD WINDLASS. Would never go back!

ataylor233
First Mate
First Mate

Postby ataylor233 » January 28th, 2019, 7:36 am

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post I have that windlass and LOVE it! replaced the ancient GOOD WINDLASS. Would never go back!

Thanks are you using Rope and Chain or Just Chain?

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

been away. YES! I am using 8 plait with 25' of 5/16" chain. I would like to get to 50' of chain, but this combo works just great as is. Total Rhode is 300'.

ataylor233
First Mate
First Mate

Postby ataylor233 » February 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

last question what gauge wire did you run from the batteries ? om ordering the wire in a day or so and i'm confused between 2 awg and 2/0

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 23rd, 2019, 9:23 am

I believe 2/0 is bigger than 2 awg.......actually the wire size you need depends on the amp draw and the total length of run from the batteries to the windlass, both ways...so if the batteries are 10' from the windlass then you need to use 20' as the total. You will need to consult a chart to help with that .....sorry I don't have one, I am sure someone might have a link....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 23rd, 2019, 9:24 am

The size of wire you'll need for your particular installation really depends on the length of the circuit from the battery bank to the windlass. That could be different for every install even with the same boat model and windlass as one installer may have run the wiring through a different route affecting the circuit's length. Before you buy the wire, plan your install and where you'll route the wiring. Measure the length of the circuit which is from the battery to the windlass and back to the battery. Then check the installation manual. It will tell you the size of wire you need for the length of the circuit you've measure based on your planned routing. Don't cheap out here or you'll have less then optimal performance. If the spec indicates a wire size but the numbers are close to the next size up, get the next size larger as this will give you a better margin for error and minimize the effects of other variables that will affect performance.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 23rd, 2019, 9:33 am

Yes 2/0 is larger. Unlike the other end of the spectrum where wire gets smaller as the numbers get higher, */0 wire gets larger as the number gets higher.

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » February 23rd, 2019, 5:44 pm

I used 1/0. I had a 20’ run

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”