Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Windlass maintenance - cleaning

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Re: Windlass maintenance - cleaning

Postby amanphoto » February 9th, 2019, 8:18 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post I agree with Hans regarding the Mantus Swivel. It's the best and the company is terrific.
Amanphoto do you have any reference guide for that task? I want to service mine this season and am having trouble finding reference with procedure and pictures. Thanks

I don't have any reference. Its just nuts and bolts. I took it apart.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » February 9th, 2019, 8:19 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Most wear issues are caused by twisted chain. You may want to let it all out while on the hard and re-feed the entire length which will get rid of the twist assuming you removed your anchor. If you do not have a swivel you may want to consider one as this helps quit a bit. This is the best there is IMHO. https://www.amazon.com/Mantus-Marine-Chain-Swivel/dp/B0748KF1KV

I don't have a swivel on my anchor. I've heard that they are week spot and could fail. I've never had any issue with twisted chain.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 9th, 2019, 9:21 am

I don't have a swivel on my anchor. I've heard that they are week spot and could fail. I've never had any issue with twisted chain.

You are correct, most swivels out there are weak and this is why I pointed to the Mantus unit which claims to be stronger than the chain it is attached to. You may not think you have a twist problem because neither did I until I had to remove all the chain that was on there to remove and perform a full service of my windlass. I have 200' of chain and the previous owner had no swivel installed. The 50'-70' I normally used was twist free because the swivel I installed cleaned it up. Problem was the balance, not that I counted the twists but easily in excess of 50. It is now all cleared up and suspect the swivel will prevent any further twisting. Also I cut off about 75' as in my application I will never use 200. Also found Carver or however installed it, never attached the end of the chain to anything which I did just in case all is let out.

One day if you require to let out more than usual you may be surprised it will stop because there is so much twist in the anchor locker. Just another thing one should clean up and keep an eye on in the endless preventative maintenance found in our beloved past time. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 10th, 2019, 6:46 am

I have a high end swivel at the anchor and still have issues. Running 15' of chain and 200' rope rode. I would think if you are all chain and have the correct size chain in your locker that the tensioner shouldn't be needed. My thoughts are that the tensioner is for rope rode basically. Guess I'll let a 100' or so out in deep water and see if a little seasoning and untwisting may help correct my issue.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 10th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Mike, if your having line problems put a 5 gallon bucket on your bow. Carefully set you anchor and chain on the fordeck. Put about 75-100 foot of line coiled in the bucket. Add pre mix of about 25% fabric softener 75% warm water. let sit 24hrs on a warm day. Should fix it.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » February 11th, 2019, 6:19 am

Tom; thanks for the treatment idea, however its a brand-new rode and is not stiff like the old rode I took out. I may have to polish the locker hole the next time I take it apart or put some real slippery and sticky tape around the locker hole, the rode may have found a catch somewhere on the way down into the locker?
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Hey folks. I decided to reach out to Maxwell for maintenance information and they were very helpful. I have included a link they sent to me regarding maintenance of the windless. The video ' RC-8 ' details the work for Maxwell 800. I hope that you find this beneficial.

https://www.vetus.com/en/maxwell-videos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 12th, 2019, 2:27 pm

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Tom; thanks for the treatment idea, however its a brand-new rode and is not stiff like the old rode I took out. I may have to polish the locker hole the next time I take it apart or put some real slippery and sticky tape around the locker hole, the rode may have found a catch somewhere on the way down into the locker?

Mike, one thing I remember regarding rope / chain anchor rode......when I had the Good, it specifically spec'd a certain size and type of rope or it would not work correctly. Maybe the Max is different ??

Heh Den......do you have the Freedom 800 or the RC8 ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 12th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Bud I have the Freedom 800. The folks at Maxwell suggested to me that the RC8 is an updated version of freedom 800. Both follow the same procedures for maintenance.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral

Postby mjk1040 » February 12th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Bud, I put the rode and chain size on the chart for the Maxwell 800 as noted, so I don't think that's the issue. But thanks for the check.
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”