Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

CO2 in the Cabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: CO2 in the Cabin

Postby bud37 » October 31st, 2020, 10:31 am

WishGranted2020 wrote:Source of the post Hello all,

I too have this problem (and appears only while cruising) I have a 38’ With the galley more midship portside. I use two Battery powered CO detectors one at the galley and another repositioned in different spots to try to detect which detects faster (also a second also eliminated the variable that it’s a problem with the first detector). It freaks out my adult kids that this is even a thing (we just made the move to power from sailing forever - so lots of new things learned). I haven’t found the source either. However, thank you to the many Useful suggestions from other contributors.

Welcome to the forum....it is good to see you are aware and keeping on top of it.The key obviously is fresh air...sometimes hard to accomplish with any regularity due to wind direction, boat direction, speed and canvas design.

If you get a resolution for your boat, please post it for others.....good luck with your new boat.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Postby uchu » November 2nd, 2020, 8:00 pm

WishGranted2020 wrote:Source of the post Hello all,

I too have this problem (and appears only while cruising) I have a 38’ With the galley more midship portside. I use two Battery powered CO detectors one at the galley and another repositioned in different spots to try to detect which detects faster (also a second also eliminated the variable that it’s a problem with the first detector). It freaks out my adult kids that this is even a thing (we just made the move to power from sailing forever - so lots of new things learned). I haven’t found the source either. However, thank you to the many Useful suggestions from other contributors.

It would be interesting to know if this happens while cruising at a slow or rather fast speeds. I read about some issue related to vortexing, where exhaust fumes are trapped and pushed inside the cabin.

In terms of the what's causing the issue, maybe there's a leak in the exhaust system (manifolds, tailpipe, risers)? Another thing is maintaining the cabin door closed while cruising. That should keep fumes from going inside.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 3rd, 2020, 2:52 pm

Keep us updated
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 5th, 2020, 9:46 am

We had triggered Co alarms underway as well. Checked exhaust, everything seemed in order, but our most recent outing, Oct 31, we heard a strange noise that ended up being a "crack" in the exhaust riser elbow in the area where the stud passes. Underway the exhaust would "burp" and could be felt coming out this area.

New riser elbows will fix this and hopefully cure or Co alarm issue.

Topic author United States of America
TheNatalina
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver Voyager 28 Cabin Cruiser

Postby TheNatalina » November 10th, 2020, 8:52 am

We had some relatively incredible weather in Nashville over the weekend and were able to test out several theories on our Carbon Monoxide concerns. As it turns out, it appears the "stationwagon effect" is both alive and well and the probable culprit. As suggested, we cracked open the front hatch during cruise and had no increase in readings or alarms on our meter! This is only one exercise, but the initial result is promising. We'll hope to give it another go later this week.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. It provided an opportunity to look at several possible issues and rule out a number of potential problems.

It looks like the big old square cabin on our little tiny yacht was just sucking in fumes when everything was closed up. Creating a little positive air pressure while underway seems to have done the trick.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”