Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stern thruster on 2008 59’ Marquis

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Yes, Dear
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008, Carver Marquis, 59’

Stern thruster on 2008 59’ Marquis

Postby Yes, Dear » March 8th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. Just purchased a 2008 59’ Marquis. The stern thruster motor is bad. There are no tags on motor and I have not had any luck getting any information. If anyone on this forum has any information on this stern thruster, I sure would appreciate it. Tunnel diameter, model, or motor specifications. Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Stern thruster on 2008 59’ Marquis

Postby Viper » March 8th, 2022, 6:42 pm

Welcome aboard. If you take a pic and post it here, someone may recognize the brand; MAX, Side-Power, Vetus....Don't know if they used Volvo QL thrusters on those.

Yes, Dear
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Yes, Dear » March 8th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Thanks Viper, the bow thruster has a tag, it is a QL BP1200. I’m assuming the stern is a a QL also. There are several models. The stern motor is in bad shape. The bilge pump under the motor got a crack in the pipe, it sprayed salt water all over motor. Looks like it had been going on for awhile.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 9th, 2022, 4:00 am

Looks like they had Volvo units on the Marquis as they would not install 2 different brands on a boat. Unfortunately most parts are long gone for those thrusters. Here is a thread relating to others looking for repairs on them. viewtopic.php?t=3984 Viper can probably guide you as to what options there are out there however I assume replacement with Side Power units would be the best route.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Yes, Dear
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Yes, Dear » March 9th, 2022, 6:21 am

Thanks Midnightsun.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 10th, 2022, 11:22 am

Ya unless you can find a replacement motor or can send yours into a local motor repair shop perhaps for rewinding and more, you're looking at replacing the system with another brand. Thankfully it's the stern thruster so replacement is relatively easy though it may require some fiberglass work if the opening differs. If and when the bow thruster fails and needs replacing, you'll have the tube diameter to deal with and whether it's compatible with current thruster brands.

Contact Volvo or a dealer and have them check with other dealers to see if they have the right motor lying around. I found a new leg this way that was in a dealership overseas. Took a while to get but it happened. Dealers also have direct access to inventory availability at Volvo's main overseas warehouse now. It's a longshot but you might get lucky if you find someone willing to put in the time to search, it does take a lot; emails, phone calls, time differences, language differences, etc.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”