Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 Aft Cabin - draining water in engine compartment underneath the engines

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

3607 Aft Cabin - draining water in engine compartment underneath the engines

Postby JeffandErin » September 24th, 2023, 8:11 pm

I have been doing some work on the intake strainer for the AC systems. It sits horizontally instead of vertically like all other strainers. So, taking the cap off to clean the strainer drains a lot of water from the pump and lines. Additionally, just putting the cover back on creates an air lock when you open the seacock valve again. This necessitates "burping" the air out of the system by cracking open the filter cover and letting both air and water drain out until all the air is expelled.

So this post is not about burping the AC seacock filter, its about getting rid of the water that has now collected under the starboard engine (Crusader 350s though that makes no difference).

There are the two central stringers that run fore to aft with the batteries situated between them. The aft bilge pump is located in this space, just forward of the aft bulkhead.

However, the water is not collecting in this space. It is collecting under the starboard engine, to the outside of the starboard stringer.

How is this water supposed to be drained out?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 3607 Aft Cabin - draining water in engine compartment underneath the engines

Postby km1125 » September 25th, 2023, 9:39 am

I had the same boat, and same issue. When you get up on plane the water runs to the back of the engine compartment and will run thought the limber holes into the lowest part of the bilge. If your shafts drip excessively you get the same problem. You can end up with several inches of water in that section below the engine(s).

You also have the same issue with the outboard stringers located under the fuel tank, but water isn't as likely to collect there. I had a pinhole leak in one of the potable lines over there that caused a bunch of water to build up.

On the stringer you're talking about, I actually ended up drilling some additional limber holes about 8" from that forward bulkhead. Then both sides drained into that part of the compartment where the bilge pump is located. I also added a second smaller (500GPH) automatic pump in that area to take care of these kinds of "nuisance" water collections. In effect, it turned the main bilge pump there into an "emergency only" bilge pump. It would still be activated by the normal float switch or the manual helm switches.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Re: 3607 Aft Cabin - draining water in engine compartment underneath the engines

Postby JeffandErin » September 25th, 2023, 9:59 am

KM1125 - Thank you very much for your reply and insite. As I created the issue by burping the AC filter, Im not overly concerned about putting another bilge outboard of the stringers. Guess I will simply take my shopvac out and vacuum up the water. Thanks again for your response and your wisdom

United States of America
Pupicman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 carver 505

Postby Pupicman » November 15th, 2023, 10:54 am

I have a Carver 1999 504, and it appears there is no way for water in engine bays to flow to bilge pumps. Had an emergency once where prop shafts leaking and filling up engine bays. Had to manually pump out. Any good news/advice out there? Thanks! Bill

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”