Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Walter V Drive Winterizing Question

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
390Express
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1996 390 Trojan Express

Walter V Drive Winterizing Question

Postby 390Express » November 19th, 2018, 2:29 am

I winterized my closed loop system buy pulling the exit line out of the V drive system, shoving a funnel into it, and feeding antifreeze through it until it came out of the heat exchanger. I also pulled the exh manifold plugs, and blew out the V drives. (just hooked a shop vac up to the exit port, until nothing came out of the water inlet that is fed from the Perko strainer) I shoved an 1 1/4" hose into the perko strainer, with my hand cupped over the end, and forced most of the water out, and filled those with antifreeze as well.

My question is:

1) do I need to do anything else with the Walter V-drives to make sure that they're good for the winter?

and

2) given that Walter recommends pulling the top cap and inspecting seasonally, would it make more sense to do it now, and dump some antifreeze in the coolant passage, and leave it loose for the offseason?

It is my understanding that Walter recommends a new gasket at the top of the V-drive, but would a premium RTV work as well? Doesn't seem like it gets much pressure.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Walter V Drive Winterizing Question

Postby Viper » November 19th, 2018, 6:53 am

IMO the best way is to run antifreeze through the Walter. There's not much in the exchanger. It's a shallow cavity with an oil line running through it and the amount of antifreeze you'll use for piece of mind is worth the expense.

Personally I prefer using proper gaskets when possible. If you're going to use a caulk, make sure none oozes out on the inside. It won't present a problem for the Walter but it will end up in your oil cooler on the engine if that's the way your application's cooling circuit is run; from hull to the Walter then on to the engine. Not all are routed that way.

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » November 19th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post IMO the best way is to run antifreeze through the Walter. There's not much in the exchanger. It's a shallow cavity with an oil line running through it and the amount of antifreeze you'll use for piece of mind is worth the expense.

Personally I prefer using proper gaskets when possible. If you're going to use a caulk, make sure none oozes out on the inside. It won't present a problem for the Walter but it will end up in your oil cooler on the engine if that's the way your application's cooling circuit is run; from hull to the Walter then on to the engine. Not all are routed that way.

Thanks Viper, another site had it posted that there's some "honeycomb" weave that, if you have a saltwater boat, you should coat in epoxy. I wanted to make sure that same honeycomb pattern couldn't collect water and freeze crack. I couldn't get the supply tubes off, but I'll pump some antifreeze up through the exit port.

Doesn't seem like there's a reputable distributor that makes a top plate gasket for a reasonable price. Looks like I'll be making one out of a flat sheet of gasket material, or using permatex.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 20th, 2018, 7:09 am

A honeycomb doesn't sound familiar. What model do you have?

Don't know where in Michigan you are but try contacting Anthony Keats Marine north of the boarder not far from Detroit. Heck, with the American dollar exchange, a gasket should cost you 5 cents ;-)
http://www.anthonykeatsmarine.com/

390Express
Captain
Captain

Postby 390Express » November 20th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post A honeycomb doesn't sound familiar. What model do you have?

Don't know where in Michigan you are but try contacting Anthony Keats Marine north of the boarder not far from Detroit. Heck, with the American dollar exchange, a gasket should cost you 5 cents ;-)
http://www.anthonykeatsmarine.com/

Thanks for the contact. My model is the RV-40. The gaskets that I found were around $35 online. That's ridiculous for a flat, cork gasket that I can make in 20-30 min. with a razor knife and a hole punch. I'll try your guy.

:down:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 20th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Sealed lots of gear cases with permatex ultra black, even when there was a thin gasket, very thin smear on each side...no leaks....no gasket same , just a little more......there is the Right Stuff for lots more...sometimes older parts don't fit quite like they used to and can use a little help.......good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”