Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Starboard engine is toast

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Mariner 3297

Starboard engine is toast

Postby Gag_Halfront » October 9th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Well, 3297 is my first boat. I bought it in May knowing that it needed fuel tanks but not knowing much else about it. It had sat in a yard for several years on the hard. After struggling with a bad cooling pump on the port engine, then a bad port fuel pump that failed and pumped 4 gallons of fuel into the block via the weep tube on the fuel pump (kinda a long story) then working through all the gear like a bad nav light, bad horn, rebuilding the head pump, exhaust manifolds, risers and elbows on the starboard engine, replacing the chart plotter and radio, and more, we finally got to take the boat out.

We got about 30 total miles and our season ended. The starboard engine is Tango Uniform. I can’t say exactly what order the failures happened, but we were WOT crossing the river headed for the reef to do some fishing when we started to suspect a problem. After a few minutes we noticed the temp gauge on the starboard engine was pegged. We shut it down and limped out to the reef on one engine and dropped anchor so we could at least fish until tow boat got there.

Once we were back in our slip, I tried to start the starboard engine and it was cranking really slowly. The first thing I found when I opened the engine room hatch is that the brand new alternator/water pump belt had jumped off and was ruined. I started pulling spark plugs and when I pulled the #5 plug, about a pint of water poured out. The first thing I did was put my air compressor on #5 to do a leak-down test. It held 100# of air no problem with no obvious leaks. Compression tests showed 160,120,120,160 on the even side of the engine. I put the compression guage on #5 and got 0#. When I took it back off, more water poured out.

The boat is raw water cooled. I shut off the raw water to the engine and disconnected the hose to the exhaust manifold, cranked it a few times and water blasted out of the odd side of the engine all over my fuel tank. It looked like it was from #3 and #5. Upon closer inspection, several spark plugs looked like they might have evidence of water. My theory at the time was that when the engine overheated, the head cracked or warped letting water into the cylinder. Hydraulic lock might have broken a rod and with the piston not moving I got 0# but water still leaking in. The borescope showed pistons and valves moving like they should which blew that theory. Time to pull the thing apart.

When I pulled the exhaust I found evidence of water in all the exhaust runners on that side. Time to pull the head. When I pulled the head the gasket looked good. I found lots of water in all 4 cylinders and the #3 exhaust valve has a bite taken out of it. I’ve seen lots of valves fail over the years, but never quite like this.

I’m still not sure exactly what all failed. The obvious common links between the 4 cylinders are head gasket, intake and exhaust. If it was the intake, the way the split-plane manifold works, I would have expected two cylinders on each side to have water, not all 4 on one side. The water in the engine in the pictures is from after turning the raw water off, cranking it a bit and then sitting a couple days so it almost certainly rules out the (brand new) exhaust manifold as the culprit. Anyway, the upshot is, my engine is toast. Time to build a pair of new engines and hope for a full season next year.

PS. Before anyone mentions the single host clamp on the fuel line, all the OEM fuel lines are threaded fittings. The barbed fitting was for the test run. A whole set of new lines with proper threaded fittings will be part of the new setup. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Starboard engine is toast

Postby Viper » October 9th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Ouch, sorry to see that.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 9th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Too bad there, did you drain the water from the block before pulling the head ? Anyway good idea to pull and do it right, as it looks like it has been wet for a while, the other side seems to show moisture in the intake runner for what looks like #8.

I would make doubly sure you check the new exhaust stuff for the right parts before putting them on a new build. My guess here is it had sat for too long and just gave up, that valve could have been stuck and the first start up from sitting stressed it. , one thing I always enjoyed was building engines.....good luck with yours.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 9th, 2020, 10:32 pm

You mention its raw water cooled. If its not a cracked head or block due to freeze, its good chance the manifold was leaking water into the cylinders. Especially in a salt water application. They don't last very long in salt.

Topic author United States of America
Gag_Halfront
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver Mariner 3297

Postby Gag_Halfront » October 10th, 2020, 7:32 pm

I really do agree that the manifold or riser could be the culprit on the water issue. The broken exhaust valve could be a coincidence. The exhaust on that engine was brand new, but “new” doesn’t always equal “good”. I’m thinking I should make some block-off plates and pressure test the exhaust before I install it on a new engine.

I didn’t drain the block because I had seen evidence of water all across the odd side of the engine so it seemed like being super worried about some leaking in when I pulled the head bolts was a lost cause. The pictures were taken as soon as the head came off, so clearly that water had been there a while. Maybe a little of it was from the water jackets in the head.

Apart from pressure testing the exhaust I’d love to hear if there were any troubleshooting steps you all might have done that I missed ( for future reference)

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 12th, 2020, 3:28 am

I have a set of used 1986 long blocks if your interested. Starboard has a bad #1 rod bearing.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”