Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dual Station 454XL Igintion/Start Issue

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Hold'n On II
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New to us 1996 370 Voyager

Dual Station 454XL Igintion/Start Issue

Postby Hold'n On II » May 24th, 2024, 12:56 am

'96 370 Voyager with dual station 454XL's..... Boat was new to us in 2020, ignition/engines/alarms worked/ran as expected....

Beginning late last season and now trying to resolve;..... Stbd engine starter engages/activates whenever key is turned to the "On" position (disengages once engine starts). Port engine/starter operates correctly.

Trouble shooting:
A. Swapped lower helm Port ignition switch with Stbd ignition switch, No Change
B. Swapped upper helm Stbd ignition switch with lower helm ignition switch, No Change
C. Swapped Stbd Starter Slave Solenoid with Port Slave Solenoid, No Change.
D. Replaced Stbd Oil Pressure Switch, No Change.

The only thing left I can think of, is a stuck Starter Solenoid on the Stbd engine, which is a ROYAL PIA to get to.... Anyone have any other ideas?

Around the same time as the starter issue appeared (Memory not so clear :-( ), the lower helm Oil Pressure/Temp alarm quit working.,... Any chance the two are related?

I also, can't seem to locate the lower helm Alarm/Buzzer. I have the overhead panel in the head and the access panel behind the mirror in the head removed, but don't see anything that resembles an alarm. Where else might it be?

In addition to the above, and also confusing.... There are "Dead End" purple wires (no cap or but end, just a cut wire) coming from each of the lower helm ignition switches. If I connect/jump them, the Stbd starter engagement/activation is normal and Stbd engine will start and starter will disengage once running, but the Oil Pressure/Temp Alarm on the fly bridge, and I assume the "Non Functioning" lower helm alarm, runs constant and does not stop.

Suggestions for further trouble shooting?

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”