Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

530 Volvo D-12 Port engine won’t reverse

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

530 Volvo D-12 Port engine won’t reverse

Postby kkochner » March 16th, 2019, 11:04 am

Yesterday I was pulling out of my slip and realized my port engine would not go into reverse. It goes into forward with no issues and runs fine. I’ve never had an issue with it not going into reverse before and it has always ran and operated perfectly. It seems pretty random that all the sudden reverse would completely be gone.

I have re-calibrated the controls and that didn’t seem to do anything. It’s experiencing a problem both in the flybridge and the interior helm as well. The only thing I Can think of is the day before I crawled around that engine to replace my gray water sump pump in front of the port engine. I am wondering if maybe I bumped something or where to look for a loose connection etc.

If anyone has any quick tips on where to look or what to check I would greatly appreciate it. I have a feeling it’s a connection or Something easy… Or at least I hope it is!
1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
Volvo D-12 Diesel Engines
Port of Tulsa OK

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: 530 Volvo D-12 Port engine won’t reverse

Postby Cooler » March 16th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Viper will have some info for you. If he does not respond shortly, go to members section, and send him a PM or email. Include transmission model or ID numbers if possible. I assume you checked trans fluid. If not, compare against the starboard transmission level / condition. Sounds simple. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kkochner » March 16th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Thanks! Checked the fluid and contacts and so far everything looks normal. Thanks for the Viper info as well!
Port of Tulsa OK

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » March 17th, 2019, 3:50 am

Most likely you bumped a solenoid on the back of the tranny. If you have ZF 311s, you will see two of them back there. I can't remember on the port side which solenoid is reverse, but I think it's the upper one. Start there. You can un-screw the end cap of the solend cartridge and slide the coil pack off. You will then see the exposed valve stem, which has a pin sticking out at the end. That pin turns, which will manually engage the tranny. Do this to test or to get home on should your controls ever fail. Let us know how it goes. Dave.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » March 17th, 2019, 4:05 am

I found a picture of both my reverse and forward valves that I took last year. The left side of the valve will remain screwed into the tranny. Once you remove the end cap on the coil pack, slide the coil pack off and the stem will look like this picture. You can see the pin that turns on the right hand side of the stem in the pic. Also, those coil packs have been known to go bad. They should all be the same so if you keep one spare on the boat, you can use it for either tranny on forward or reverse should one ever fail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kkochner » March 17th, 2019, 9:31 am

Dave thanks for the advice!!! That’s exactly where I have been looking and yes I think the top one is reverse as well. When I looked at it it seems scared compared to the other one. I will attach a pic.

So I can be sure I am understanding what ur saying...are u saying I can manually touch the red end and turn it to test engagement? That would also mean I could take the forward one that is working and put it in the reverse spot and test to confirm the reverse will work correct? If it works then I just need to replace the part and get a sore one like u suggested:)

Know where I can buy them? Thanks again!
Port of Tulsa OK

kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kkochner » March 17th, 2019, 9:34 am

3648D66F-C1F9-4EA5-B0B7-65A80DD560BA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Port of Tulsa OK

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 17th, 2019, 10:51 am

Curious how these work. Can you see that red end move when the valves are activated? Do they rotate or go in or out?

kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kkochner » March 17th, 2019, 11:01 am

I just tested everything manually and discovered it was my reverse valve. I move the forward valve up to the reverse spot and tested it and it went into reverse no problem...so that was great news! No transmission issues!!! Now just got find out where to buy the valve.

Thanks for letting me know how to test it manually...this probably save me hundreds of dollars figuring it out myself!!!
Port of Tulsa OK

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 17th, 2019, 11:32 am

KK - give Carver a call. If they don't have them, they will have the contact point for OEM. Have your hull # and/or your transmission model/# in hand. Or, you can use this email jbroder@marquisyachts.com

Phone is 920-822-7248 Good Luck! Glad you found the problem. It did sound simple. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”