Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Loss of power

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
TruckerTim
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Voyager 450
Sarasota, FL

Loss of power

Postby TruckerTim » April 29th, 2024, 2:18 pm

I have a 2000 Voyager with the TAMD74's and for the past few weekends I cannot get above 1900RPM's. Changed all the filters, (fuel, air, racors) and still having the issue. Also getting a lot of soot from the starboard engine. I have read some post that other having the same issue and it was either air starvation, blocked turbo or turbo boost sensor. I understand how to check the turbo to make sure it's spinning freely but where is the boost sensor located? Thanks!

United States of America
Coldcruisin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Loss of power

Postby Coldcruisin » May 9th, 2024, 2:00 pm

There is a black box just aft of the two onboard fuel filters. Attached to the bottom of that box is a brass fitting that is t shaped. Sometimes that will collect moisture and cause the issues you have stated. It is one possible cause of many. There may be a tiny hole that has been drilled up from the bottom on the flat surface. That was the cheap/easy fix for this issue. It allows the sensor to drain without losing boost. Good luck.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 10th, 2024, 7:33 am

Heh there......couple questions that may add some info.

Is the hull/running gear clean and is it just the stbd side with the black smoke on acceleration/loading ??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
TruckerTim
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Voyager 450
Sarasota, FL

Postby TruckerTim » May 10th, 2024, 8:27 am

Coldcruisin- Thanks. I will check the T for water. I assume the pressue sensor is in that box above the T. Is draining the water enough or will it also cause the sensor to fail?

Bud37- Yes, bottom and running gear are clean, according to my diver. It is the stbd side smoking. Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 10th, 2024, 12:46 pm

TruckerTim wrote:Source of the post Bud37- Yes, bottom and running gear are clean, according to my diver. It is the stbd side smoking. Thanks

Considering that, are you looking at the port engine as well....sometime an ailing engine will take both down, as in not allow the revs because of boat speed.....just a thought as it appears the stbd side is being fuelled judging by the smoke...... maybe I am wrong but worth a look, diesels ain't my strength.

Good luck man, hope ya find it.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Coldcruisin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Coldcruisin » May 13th, 2024, 6:31 pm

I had a smoking issue with my 02 TAMD74 (port). I checked all the standard troubleshooting. I finally pulled all the injectors and found copper washers installed when the PO had the injectors rebuilt. Removing the washers corrected the issue as the original installation calls for the injectors to sit in the injector cups only. It would be worth checking as you can get your injectors tested while they are out. Not a difficult job but be careful of all the tiny washers on the injection lines.
As for the turbo boost sensor, i dont know if the moisture will cause a failure but it will distort the reading of the boost pressure and boost will be affected.

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”