Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Buffing Pads for wax

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Buffing Pads for wax

Postby feeez » March 24th, 2017, 11:54 pm

I have a Makita 9237 7" polisher that I used for compounding the boat... works great.

I want to use the same tool to buff after I wax. What kind of pad / bonnet do I need for this purpose?

Thanks
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Buffing Pads for wax

Postby bud37 » March 25th, 2017, 8:37 am

I use two machines, the one like yours for the compound /polish then a 10" random orbital with terry towel pads for wax and removal by hand.......yup thats what about killed me last fall!! LOL........ :beergood: :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 25th, 2017, 8:56 am

Wax on wax off grasshopper! By hand let the wife do it!
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » March 25th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I was somewhat afraid this may be the reponse to this..... My rotator cuffs are already aching :banghead:

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » March 28th, 2017, 11:23 am

If you must get a foam polishing/finishing pad on a DA. The best way is by hand so you don't strip what you just added.

Even better is throw out the wax and look at ceramic coatings. Wax and polymers don't last more than a few months especially on top sides.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » March 28th, 2017, 8:41 pm

I use a da waxer to apply wax and wipe it off by hand works great. I wonder about ceramic coatings, seems like a great idea anyone have any experience with it?

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » April 2nd, 2017, 9:10 pm

Hugo wrote:Source of the post If you must get a foam polishing/finishing pad on a DA. The best way is by hand so you don't strip what you just added.

Even better is throw out the wax and look at ceramic coatings. Wax and polymers don't last more than a few months especially on top sides.

I just heard about the ceramic thing from a buddy that is in to custom cars etc..... worth a check for sure.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 2nd, 2017, 10:15 pm

feeez wrote:I just heard about the ceramic thing from a buddy that is in to custom cars etc..... worth a check for sure.

$$$
It's just another coating! I'm sure there's a place for it but it doesn't last forever, and I find it too expensive. The cost is like polishing it every other year for 10 years. Unless your gel is in really bad shape to a point where it's worn down to the glass, I say don't coat it with anything. Maintain it and it'll look great for a long time......IMO.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 3rd, 2017, 8:25 pm

feeez wrote:Source of the post
Hugo wrote:Source of the post If you must get a foam polishing/finishing pad on a DA. The best way is by hand so you don't strip what you just added.

I just heard about the ceramic thing from a buddy that is in to custom cars etc..... worth a check for sure.

After reading this I thought to check out this stuff and see what is what and how it is done....from what I saw it looked to be a very labour intensive cost with all the steps and materials etc.I wonder if it might not be about the same to just have the hull painted and be done with it.....I know your boat looks great, I was just commenting on what seems like a comparable cost....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”