Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

26 Command Bridge '91

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

26 Command Bridge '91

Postby Phrancus » October 1st, 2020, 10:40 am

Hi, New owner here, don't have all details at hand yet and not much documentation came with the boat so I'm full of questions.

Small family, first (motor)boat and a winter ahead to get her up to speed.

This one was imported from Canada or the US around 1990-1992 to Belgium. At that time equipped with V8 petrol engines. Quite soon refit with 4-cylinder Volvo Penta diesel engines. Imported into The Netherlands some years ago and not used as much as planned so put up for sale.

Some maintenance was done, some interior items were removed adn upholstery renewed.

All in all at the moment a nice inside, a somewhat dirty and worn exterior. Engines are good though, drives OK and that was my main worry. Bit of damage of physical experiences long ago but nothing that can't be fixed or at least put in decent order.

So soon I'll be looking for info on the electrics and hopefully some background information on this particular version of the 26. Others we've seen around here are 28 or the earlier model 26.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 26 Command Bridge '91

Postby waybomb » October 1st, 2020, 12:34 pm

Welcome aboard!
Interesting history too.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 1st, 2020, 3:31 pm

Welcome to the forum.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 1st, 2020, 5:33 pm

Welcome aboard

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » October 2nd, 2020, 11:14 am

Thank you.

Just found my model in the 1991 brochure only. Labeled as NEW then and not returning the following year. So I've got something relatively rare :-)

unfortunately I did not find my model among the manuals, would be nice to have it all complete but not really necessary.

carverbrochurepic.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 4th, 2020, 4:49 am

Welcome Aboard. You've come to the right place to gain information about your Carver. Good luck and I hope you have many fine adventures aboard.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » October 4th, 2020, 11:37 am

Thank you Rick.

Here (Europe) winter's coming and we're expecting her to be delivered on the 17th nearby. Organized a birth as we plan to practice a bit before taking her out again. She'll go inside into a workshop where I can work on the. err..., wel everything and get her fit for spring 2021.

So expect some project threads here as I'm sure I'll run into lots of unexpeted things when checking everything all over the boat.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » October 24th, 2020, 2:31 pm

A short update after a few short trips:

- port engine running hot. Expect an intake problem as I saw a lot of dirt/growth when she was lifted and transported. it runs, so ok for manouvering in/out of the berth but not good enough for continuous use. No problem as she runs fine on one engine but of course a job ahead.

- electronics wiring is a mess. I'm very interested to see pictures of how it was when new as I'm going to rewire the fuses board en pretty much everything else. In time several modifications were made with various levels of care and professionalism.

- battery charging is not as the equipment is suppose to deal with it: some rewiring to do here too.

- fuel filters (the ones with the clear venturi cups) look dirty. Tank level sensor was loose, so when in the workshop all fuel (diesel) will come out and tank is to be cleaned. Question: I have a square watertank in front of the engines in the middle. I will take it out to reach the cabling to the battery monitor/charging control/main switches. Is there an opening to reach the fuel tank? There is smelly diesel/dirt grime under it and I can't reach it very well from above (and I dropped a worklight..... :cry: ) If there is no access I will make access but I'm hoping that there is some sort of removable panel?

- gas handles (levers?) are not smooth and don't stay in their position when just above idling. Also the other two (fwd/neutral/reverse) are difficult to feel their change of position. Inside that is better, but the ones on the bridge need somekind of adjustment. Makes manouvering less precise as sometimes a short 'reverse' to reduce speed turns into a reverse back out of the birth.

and lots more of course, will post pics per job soon.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » October 31st, 2020, 1:37 pm

Finally got the boat to an on shore bilge pump location and pumped out most of the soup. Next week degreasing and such to do.

checked the fuel filters last week, shouldn't have done that; pretty nervous trip today. Those filters are filthy and I don't dare to open them as particles will go everywhere and I can't replace the filter cartridges right now. In a month all is to be flushed/cleaned and both engines serviced.

We don't (can't) open the throttle often anyway so it was a 2000rpm max short trip. In spring we'll open the fuel floods and see what she can do when properly taken care of.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 1st, 2020, 2:30 pm

Can't wait to see some pics!! Sounds like a nice project and I'm jealous you can bring it inside to work on it all winter!!

I would not worry to much abour bringing it back to "stock". Take a good inventory of what you have, whether wiring or plumbing, and figure out what you want, then layout what you need. You'll likely end up with something much better than stock, as a lot has changed in 30 years.

Don't know if you have this, but I ran across this nice writeup on the boat:
Carver 26 Command Bridge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”