Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bottom paint - How often

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
bfritz616
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 450 Carver Voyager

Bottom paint - How often

Postby bfritz616 » May 3rd, 2016, 3:54 pm

Hello
We have a 2002 450 Carver that has always been in fresh water. How often should the boat be pulled for a bottom paint job? and for a buff and wax?
Thank you

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Bottom paint - How often

Postby waybomb » May 3rd, 2016, 5:42 pm

Welcome aboard!

In water year round, out in the sun? I'd wax it at least 3-4 times a year. Don't let it get chaulked up.

As for bottom paint, I'd ask around your area what others do. Here in Mi, we boat from now through October, and generally every other year we paint the bottom.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998. Mariner 350 . Twin 7.4 engines / kholer 6.5 gas Genset

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » May 3rd, 2016, 8:18 pm

I've been told 3-5 years on the bottom job in our area. I'm sure water conditions can change time requirements
1998 350 Mariner

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » May 3rd, 2016, 9:27 pm

My boat is professionally compounded and polished every year. Rub rail (superstructre) up on year 1 and hull on year 2.

This year is the superstructre year, and by this time it always needs it to bring back the lustre. My marina is starting the polish job any day now.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 4th, 2016, 9:07 pm

bfritz616 wrote:Source of the post Hello
We have a 2002 450 Carver that has always been in fresh water. How often should the boat be pulled for a bottom paint job? and for a buff and wax?
Thank you

On bottom paint, really depends on the type of paint, water conditions, and boating habits. As Fred suggested, it's a good idea to get opinions from those in the same area if you are new there.

Polishing frequency depends on a few factors as well. The current condition of the gel makes a big difference. Those out in the open rather than a covered slip, will likely need at least a superstructure polish and wax every season or two depending on conditions. The sun really beats things up. Boats under cover can get away with just a waxing until some clouding starts to become apparent. Hull sides don't get as much direct sunlight as topsides so the finish typically lasts longer between polishings. May not be as definitive an answer as you're looking for but conditions play a large roll.

United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » May 8th, 2016, 10:24 am

I sent a lengthy response to this post last night but once I hit send it disappeared and never posted, So he we go again! Currently I am living on the hard and bottom painting my Carver 405. Many things need consideration before deciding on a paint. Do you cruise or are you a go fast or off shore runner? Does your boat sit more than it moves, salt or fresh water? Is your boat in the water all the time or does it sit in the yard? Bottom line, considerations must be made. Here in South Carolina its warmer, 88 last week and my boat is in salt water all the time, and it sits dockside most of the time. I am painting it with an ablative with high copper and biocide to protect the bottom from sea life that wants a new home. An ablative steadily sheds microscopic coats with the remains of whatever tried to attach itself over the years exposing fresh biocide throughout its life. It is not affected when pulled out and left on the hard in dry air. It is a soft paint and also generally only needs a pressure wash and light sanding to apply new coats once worn off. This application suits my dock time and cruising. Alternatively, a hard paint or epoxy is a little smoother for the go fast crowd and off shore work where speed and durability is required. It comes in various levels of copper and other protective elements, but once the additives wear out you are left with a hard shell paint with no protective qualities. After multiple coats it has to be stripped and redone. Hard paint as I understand also looses its protective additives if stored out of the water for a period of time. In my case I choose Pettit Horizons for the bottom work on my boat, and it is being applied as of this writing. I also cleaned the running gear, sanded, primed and painted too. I used DRX or Dr.X, a spray on cleaner on the running gear. It foamed up the barnacle and I washed it off with a hose cutting my sanding and prep by more than half. I also used it on the raw water screens and they cleaned up nicely. I painted the gear using Velox as recommended by my diver for its resistance to chipping paint caused through electrolysis. I expect about 3 years out of the job. I also learned from a fella in the boat yard to use a product at Lowes called "Rust Aid" for $10 a gallon to clean rust stains off your fiberglass. He said once you use it, you will want to do the whole hull. I cleaned some anchor locker staining at the bow and took a swipe on the starboard side with a wet cloth with this stuff. In the time I walked to get the hose for a wash off, the spot was bleach white making the rest of the hull look dingy. So I wiped down the entire hull and rinsed. Amazing! A compound and waxing was also undertaken on the hull. I finished off with a few cocktails and a chaser of Alieve.......Attached are some photo's of the running gear before the bottom work.

:usa:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
bfritz616
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 450 Carver Voyager

Postby bfritz616 » May 20th, 2016, 9:39 am

Hello
Thank you very much for your reply!
Our boat is in fresh water in Missouri. It sits under a covered dock when not in use. During the season, which is typically April thru October, we take it out about every other weekend for about 8 hours each day. We are more of cruisers than go fast and usually spend most time coving out or at a restaurant area.
Today we are attempting to buff and wax ourselves!!
Your reply are greatly appreciated!!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”