Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Red wire on back of alternator

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Red wire on back of alternator

Postby Helmsman » June 29th, 2016, 8:24 am

I was checking fluid levels, etc. the other day and found a wire (red) laying unattached at the back of the alternator. I checked the other engine (2006 Crusader 6.0 liter ... carver 33 SS) and the wire was attached to a post screw on the back of the alternator. So, I attached the other one while I was in there. I can't find anything describing what it is so thought I would ask here. It appears to run to the isolator and then on to the battery so I am assuming it charges the starting battery?

Any help would be appreciated.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Red wire on back of alternator

Postby Viper » June 29th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Sounds like they've incorporated an isolator into the charging system to charge two or more banks while keeping them isolated from each other. If it was disconnected, I suspect it either came loose, or intentionally removed likely due to a failed isolator or other charging related issue. Does the other alternator go to the same isolator?

If you know how to use a multi-meter, it's an easy test to check the isolator for a failure.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Re: Red wire on back of alternator

Postby Helmsman » June 20th, 2017, 8:11 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Sounds like they've incorporated an isolator into the charging system to charge two or more banks while keeping them isolated from each other. If it was disconnected, I suspect it either came loose, or intentionally removed likely due to a failed isolator or other charging related issue. Does the other alternator go to the same isolator?

If you know how to use a multi-meter, it's an easy test to check the isolator for a failure.

I can use a multimeter somewhat. Can you let me know what I need to do?

The previous guy had the isolator replaced because it failed. It was done at a reputable boat yard by their most highly thought of mechanic.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”