Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 mariner battery switches

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: 350 mariner battery switches

Postby Viper » August 15th, 2016, 7:35 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I've seen battery chargers wired to the load side of the selector switch rather than the battery side. If this is the case only the selected battery will charge.
You may want to check this out.

+1

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » August 15th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Don't get into the habit of leaving the battery switch on "Both". As mentioned in another post, there are several pitfalls when you do this. Leaving it on "Both" at shore with the charger on defeats the purpose of the charger's ability to deal with each bank's unique charging needs which are very different from one another. By setting the switch to "Both" you combine all batteries into one bank which with some chargers may drive them crazy as you'll have more than one charge lead on the combined bank. This may shut down charging all together in some chargers.

I am now definitely going to attack this issue when i am up there this week. I took look in behind that pane recently and one of the wires coming from the battery charger breakers was disconnected from the battery switch and that breaker was connected to its neighbour with a small buss bar. I will post some pics or a video to show how mine is set up. I think in this set up the charger is only charging the battery bank that the switch is set to which kind of defeats the purpose of having a multi bank charger. The generator battery charging wire is connected directly from the breaker to the battery positive.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 20th, 2016, 3:05 pm

During our last visit I pulled the panel in the salon to further my investigation of battery charger breakers versus battery selector switch position. In my previous post I though that two of these breakers had been bussed together that was wrong. But, here is what I found.

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

I suppose that a previous owner decide to connect the wire from the Battery 2 charger breaker to BOTH on the selector switch. So, my battery charger has been charging bank 1 and 2 as one bank. I will replace the broken breaker ASAP and reconnect the wires properly which I assume is 1 to position 1 on the selector and 2 to 2.

Fraser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 20th, 2016, 3:17 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Thanks guys...big help....I have to check batteries to see if charger is connected directly to them or to the switch by the back door.
Cant figure out if the fridge auto swtches to 110 as soon as it sees shore power , can you leave the fridge 12v switch on all the time and fridge picks 110 when available over the battery????
Today we left it with shore 1 on with the fridge receptacle on...battery switch on both.....everything else off....so we shall see what is what by Tuesday.

Feeez we are right next to you, live right in town.One of these days I may just drive over there and you can show off your battery setup. :beergood: :beergood:

Bud37
Here is the pic of the battery set up
IMG_0574.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 20th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Cool , good to see how you put them in there, I like that :-D ..How many amp hours are the 4 in total??....we got the boat home yesterday ,everything good....figured out the fridge and battery switches, all seems ok.

I guess that broken stud would explain the charging issues......wonder why PO would not have just changed the breaker??? :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 20th, 2016, 10:06 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Cool , good to see how you put them in there, I like that :-D ..How many amp hours are the 4 in total??....we got the boat home yesterday ,everything good....figured out the fridge and battery switches, all seems ok.

I guess that broken stud would explain the charging issues......wonder why PO would not have just changed the breaker??? :beergood:

Here is the link to specs for those batteries. If I remember correctly 4 of them in a series parallel array gives about 450 amp hours
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datash ... Sheets.pdf

I have no idea why they would ignore this broken stud issue. Anyway I will order the new breaker on Monday and get it installed this week.

Glad your move to the bay wen smoothly. I hope you enjoy your 350 as much as we do ours.

cheers
Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 21st, 2016, 12:19 am

Good catch Fraser. :down:

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 21st, 2016, 9:00 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Good catch Fraser. :down:

Thanks Viper.... we have found a few things like this on the boat since we have owned... go figure.
Am a I correct about the way that these wires should be connected?
Battery 1 charger breaker to selector switch 1 position
Battery 2 charger breaker to selector switch 2 position
I always like to confirm things when it comes to electrical issues.

Thanks
Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 21st, 2016, 12:34 pm

Yep, they must be hooked up to the battery/source side of the switch.

BTW, please tell me you hooked up a chassis ground wire of the proper rating to the new charger.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 21st, 2016, 2:41 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Yep, they must be hooked up to the battery/source side of the switch.

BTW, please tell me you hooked up a chassis ground wire of the proper rating to the new charger.

Yes, Hooked up per the instructions. 1 gauge less than the positive

Fraser.

Return to “Electrical”