Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

350 mariner battery switches

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

350 mariner battery switches

Postby bud37 » August 13th, 2016, 11:16 am

Well we finally got our second Carver 8-) with more switches than you can shake a stick at.. :confused: ....how does everyone leave their boat?......what do you select for battery switch at back panel ,( one ,two or both )and what do you leave on , on the front main panel? Thats a start, there is a bit of a learning curve here.Thanks :help:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 350 mariner battery switches

Postby waybomb » August 13th, 2016, 4:43 pm

Battery on one or the other, most everything turned off other than fridge and bilge pumps.

Leave dock side on always.

Water turned off at dock
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » August 14th, 2016, 12:02 pm

AC
Shore power 1 on
All of the individual breakers on shore power 1 are off with the exception of the Battery Charger
Shore Power 2 is off

DC
I leave everything on except the water pump, the head, accy. bridge, and the wash down pump. We are there a lot so I don't see the need to shut of all of those breakers.

I am currently leaving my battery switch on both but that is more because I have strange wiring set up with battery charge that I have yet to delve into. I would probably leave it on two as that is where my bigger battery bank is.

Where abouts in Georgian Bay are your BuD37?

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

RuffLife
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby RuffLife » August 14th, 2016, 12:03 pm

We leave the battery switch on "Both" while on shore power and select either 1 or 2 when we are leaving the dock to go for a cruise. For some bizarre reason, our charger won't charge both batteries unless its on both. Shouldn't be that way and we will have someone look at it when we haul out but for now, that's what we have to do.

When we leave the boat, it is plugged in to the shore power and we leave on the breakers for the battery charger, inside fridge (which is actually one of the "receptacle" breakers in ours), ice maker (which on ours controls the outlet on the flybridge that our bar fridge is plugged into) the bilge pumps and the accy breaker that has the fuel sniffer and high water bilge alarm on it.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 14th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Rufflife,

You are experiencing the the same issue with battery charging VS switch position that I am. I think I have part of the answer to that question and I am going to take some shots of the salon panel opened up and post them for some options to correct it,hopefully. Even although the 3 breakers of the charger are on, the position of the battery switch still seems to effect the charging of 1 and 2 battery bank.

This is why this forum is great... one question always leads us down another path!!!

cheers
Fraser

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 14th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Thanks guys...big help....I have to check batteries to see if charger is connected directly to them or to the switch by the back door.
Cant figure out if the fridge auto swtches to 110 as soon as it sees shore power , can you leave the fridge 12v switch on all the time and fridge picks 110 when available over the battery????
Today we left it with shore 1 on with the fridge receptacle on...battery switch on both.....everything else off....so we shall see what is what by Tuesday.

Feeez we are right next to you, live right in town.One of these days I may just drive over there and you can show off your battery setup. :beergood: :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » August 14th, 2016, 11:34 pm

The fridge automatically switches to 110 when plugged in or the genny is running. Mine runs only on 12 at the moment. There is something up with the power supply..... yet another project!!!

When you leave the boat with the battery on make sure the fridge 12V breaker is on also. If the power went off at the marina for an extended period of time the fridge will defrost all over the galley floor.

You are welcome to drop by we are the only 350 in the marina.

Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 15th, 2016, 7:11 am

Don't get into the habit of leaving the battery switch on "Both". As mentioned in another post, there are several pitfalls when you do this. Leaving it on "Both" at shore with the charger on defeats the purpose of the charger's ability to deal with each bank's unique charging needs which are very different from one another. By setting the switch to "Both" you combine all batteries into one bank which with some chargers may drive them crazy as you'll have more than one charge lead on the combined bank. This may shut down charging all together in some chargers.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 15th, 2016, 7:15 am

RuffLife wrote:Source of the post We leave the battery switch on "Both" while on shore power and select either 1 or 2 when we are leaving the dock to go for a cruise. For some bizarre reason, our charger won't charge both batteries unless its on both....

There must be something that's not hooked up properly. Perhaps there is no charge lead hooked up to the battery that won't charge on its own or that charge leg has failed. Are you sure you are getting power from the battery that won't charge on its own? Maybe there is a negative cable that hasn't been hooked up.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 15th, 2016, 3:49 pm

I've seen battery chargers wired to the load side of the selector switch rather than the battery side. If this is the case only the selected battery will charge.
You may want to check this out.

Return to “Electrical”