Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Carver Owner - 1987 32' Aft Cabin

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
mrsparkj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Aft Cabin

New Carver Owner - 1987 32' Aft Cabin

Postby mrsparkj » July 21st, 2015, 1:44 pm

I just purchased my first Carver and very happy with the boat. I do have some basic questions that I have received conflicting answers from friends who own boats, but not one of this size.

Are there any good checklists out there to for "start-up", securing the boat, etc. I'm a Navy guy and live by checklists to ensure things are turned on/off in the proper sequence.

Next, wrt the batteries, should they be left on or shut off when leaving the boat. I have heard answers in both the "yes" category and "no" category. The boat is connected to shore power so I assume the batteries are being charged if left on and should be left on when not in use so the bilge pumps work? Just looking for guidance, recommendations there.

Lastly, are there any good schematics of the engine spaces to show where things are located? I have the original owners manual, but there diagrams are hard to follow. I am familiar with the major systems, just wondering if I am missing some hidden items that could help with preventive maintenance.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Scott

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: New Carver Owner - 1987 32' Aft Cabin

Postby waybomb » July 21st, 2015, 7:03 pm

I can answer on the bats.
You do not need to leave in 1, 2 or both. Can be off. Bilge pumps are wired in before the switch and in most cases so is the battery charger. You can verify this by looking at the back of the switch and follow the wires.

Good luck on the rest. Best thing to do is start exploring!

And welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
mrsparkj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby mrsparkj » July 21st, 2015, 8:28 pm

Fred, thanks for the answer on the bats! Been doing what you recommended wrt following hoses and wires!

Thanks again. Scott

Ondercin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

Postby Ondercin » November 20th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Personally I leave my batteries on all the time... I've had someone accidentally disconnect my shore power cable and if it weren't for the batteries kicking in a keeping my fridge & freezer working I have to throw out all my food, and I'd have warm beer to boot. I'll always leave my batteries in the on position.
1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

Return to “General Boating Discussion”