Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Member - Looking at Carver Mariner 36

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
John Easley
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Sold a 1986 42' Chris Craft Catalina. Looking for a 1999-2006 530 Voyager Pilothouse.

New Member - Looking at Carver Mariner 36

Postby John Easley » June 4th, 2016, 5:58 pm

My wife and I today toured a 2007 Carver Mariner 36. Though we have both been on and around boats a lot and I have some experience driving a 35 foot, this would be our first boat of any real size as owners.

We found it to be extremely easy entry and quite roomy on the bridge with plenty of seating. Although the write up didn't mention an icemaker, and it technically doesn't have one, both the refrigerator on the bridge and the one in the galley had freezer sections.

The aft deck has three panels. We noticed about six inches of water in the bilge under the engines and the sales rep didn't know why. Probably either a blown fuse or a bad bilge pump, right?

We did notice the center panel that exposes the generator has a soft spot in it. It's basically right where you would step when stepping out of the salon. That was concerning. Any thoughts on what is wrong and what it would take to repair that center panel?

With the salon steps in the up position and the deck plates off, there would be lots of easy access to performing your own maintenance. That's a big plus in my book.

In the salon, there was plenty of storage everywhere. The galley had enough room that the two of us could cook together and it had plenty of storage for dishes, pots, pans, and food. The settee and the dinette were comfortable. We can easily fit on the bed together and there is easy access to either side of the island berth. The shower has plenty of room for one and, yes, I even sat on the head. ;-) The head seals are holding water nicely, too.

The boat was recently detailed. The gelcoat appears really thin on the port side forward. Not sure what could be done about that or if anything even needs to be done. Any ideas?

The rest was all cosmetic but nothing serious. A couple of slits in the eisenglass and a small hole in the canvas around the eisenglass, which could probably be stitched with matching thread and be inconspicuous.

The broker didn't bring the maintenance logs so I have no idea when the bottom was painted or the oil and filters or impellers were changed.

Overall, we gave it an 8.5. High on liveability and ease of maintenance. Tomorrow we are touring a 2004 Cruisers 375 and will be comparing the two.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: New Member - Looking at Carver Mariner 36

Postby feeez » June 5th, 2016, 11:55 am

There is definitely a problem with the bilge pumps if there is 6" of water down there. The shelfs that those panels rest on in our boat have drains to allow rain water to get out of the channel. They are in constant need for unclogging. If not the water just buillds up and drips down.

"Spongyness" on the centre panel does sound concerning. I don't have that issue. As mentioned in my other post if you are considering this boat a good surveyor will be able to diagnose and advise you on this.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Return to “General Boating Discussion”