Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Flat Screen TV Suggestions

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Flat Screen TV Suggestions

Postby denpooch » February 1st, 2019, 5:20 pm

I would like to upgrade the 20" TV on my 2005 Mariner. I would like to get a larger screen, possibly adjustable mount and would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions that may come to mind. Do you think a larger screen would look ridiculous and fit the aesthetics of the space.? If there is a brand, mounting, size, etc., that comes to mind it would be very helpful.
I know you folks love everything about our boats, including the looks, and your feedback is will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
TV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Flat Screen TV Suggestions

Postby Cooler » February 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm

Denpooch - your options are limitless. If it were me, I would relocate the TV using a mounting bracket that would allow various watching positions. Smart TV's today are so light, a 36 inch weighs maybe 6 to 8 pounds and is 2" thick. Food for thought: a neighbor mounted his TV near the entrance way of his Voyager. He can watch from the salon, or from the cockpit by adjusting the bracket. When cruising, the unit is almost flush with the mounting wall. Minimal stress if he is in rough water. When he watches, it extends out and then swivels either way. If you know anyone that works at a TV retailer, and designs home theater arrangements, you could ask them to visit and suggest. The space where the TV is now could be a nice glass rack or wine rack spot with an inside light an dark tint door. That is going to be a fun project. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 1st, 2019, 7:32 pm

in boats and rvs i often wonder about the mounting locations the oems put tv's in. i mean sometimes it really makes me wonder who they think can actually watch the tv for any length of time . an adjustable bracket can sure make things better. is there really a tv thats tooo big? :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 2nd, 2019, 1:02 am

Believe it or not, harbor freight has full motion tv brackets for all size tv's for about a 1/4 of what they cost at circuit city of equivalent. They are made by the same fine Chinese craftsmen, and the same quality, just cost much less.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » February 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am

A friend of mine who has a 36 Mariner went with a 32” Samsung smart TV on an arm at it looks and fictions great.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 2nd, 2019, 9:09 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post They are made by the same fine Chinese craftsmen

Good one....... :lol:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 2nd, 2019, 11:05 am

Thanks guys. Funny, I looked at a post of individuals selling their 05 Carvers. A couple of them had BIG screens. Did not do anything positive for the aesthetics. Too big and it will look 'out of place'. I am leaning slightly smaller, perhaps Darren's suggestion, with an extended arm. I will post final result and appreciate all of the feedback.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 2nd, 2019, 11:43 am

Definately keep the size to match your available space. As you said a 55" crammed into a salon is great for bragging rights but it really looks the shits. :up: In my case a 27" worked just right in the salon and a 24" in the aft cabin. Swing out arm is great. Go through my pictures in my signature to see what I did. May give you some ideas. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Agriman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby Agriman » February 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am

I had a matching door hinged at the top so I could use the cavity for storage and mounted a 32 inch flat screen to the door with a bracket from Walmart. We just tilt the door up to access less used items like a sweet corn pot or snack items.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » February 5th, 2019, 3:16 pm

On my 356, I put it up on the wall behind dining table. Used "Cmple - Extremely Slim Velcro-Fixed Wall Mount for 23"-42" LED, 3D LED, LCD TV's " from Amazon so keeps it close to wall. I did screw it in as I did not want to take a chance on having it fall off during boating. TV I got from Costco 30inch. Wanted 32inch but the spot I had in mind was inch shorter than what I needed. Anyway, its a smart TV, so with my unlimited data plan, I turn on the wifi from my phone and we watch anything we want with out cable, etc. Normally we spend time looking at the amazing view from our dock, so no need for TV, but if needed, or staying overnight it comes in handy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”