Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

potential carver owner

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
Lake Erie Monster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

potential carver owner

Postby Lake Erie Monster » March 2nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

Not sure if I am on the right type of forum or not, but my wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a very old carver. It's a 1974 that had a restoration started but then the owner needed to move (supposedly). We are looking for more cabin than cruiser and this seems to fit the bill. Being that I am a mechanic by trade repairs to the engines and electrical parts do not worry my especially at the price I'm getting it. My main concern is what are the common issues of this model from this era just so I can know what I am getting into. we just got out of a Sea Ray and are looking for something bigger.
Here is a link to what we are considering.

http://ashtabula.craigslist.org/boa/4332700775.html
Adam and Shannon
28' Mariner twin 302's

"My other vessel is a Klingon Bird of Prey"

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: potential carver owner

Postby Ramsport47 » March 3rd, 2014, 6:04 am

The main thing on the older Carvers like this one are going to be stringers and hull coring. The coring in the hull on these older ones goes all the way to the keel, so if you can get your hands on a moisture meter, it would be a good idea to check the content in both the hull and the stringers. The stringers may not even be encapsulated, but I would check them anyway.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » March 3rd, 2014, 7:23 am

That trailer is probably worth $1500 on it's own.

Topic author
Lake Erie Monster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lake Erie Monster » March 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm

how do i gain access to the stringers it does not look like the floor boards are able to be pulled up in the cabin. the boat did look good in general though, one carb issue that i will need to take care of but otherwise looks solid. if the wife likes it i plan to buy it this weekend. btw everything on this boat looks very well made. i thought sea ray made a quality boat but this is a different beast altogether.
Adam and Shannon
28' Mariner twin 302's

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander

Postby Ramsport47 » March 6th, 2014, 5:54 pm

The stringers are the longitudinal wooden strengthening items in the bilge of the boat. In the engine compartment, the engines and trannies are mounted to them. In the cabin, there should be some floor boards that come up, and you should be able to see stringers in them.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego

Topic author
Lake Erie Monster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lake Erie Monster » March 7th, 2014, 12:34 pm

ill see if i can take a closer look on sunday......
Looks like I never introduced my self by the way. I'm Adam from the Cleveland area. my wife and i love to boat in the Lake Erie islands area. we have made a habit of buying a boat that needs a little bit of work and fixing it up then selling it for a profit. we started with a row boat that we found half sunk in a marina and have worked our way up. At this point we are looking for more cabin than cruiser to we have a place to run away to on the weekend. we have no kids yet but are planning on it soon so a larger cabin cruiser makes sense for when the time comes.
Adam and Shannon
28' Mariner twin 302's

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander

Postby Ramsport47 » March 7th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Nice to meet you Adam! I'm Kenny...my partner Scott and I live in Euclid and keep our boat at Cedar Point Marina in Sandusky. LOVE to go to PIB and Kelley's!!! And hang out in the marina and in the amusement park.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego

Topic author
Lake Erie Monster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Lake Erie Monster » March 7th, 2014, 1:45 pm

a friend of mine and i kept an old trojan house boat there (the ugly one on the second to last pier) a few years ago, it was a great marina but way out of my reach this year.
Adam and Shannon
28' Mariner twin 302's

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander

Postby Ramsport47 » March 7th, 2014, 2:48 pm

I remember that houseboat...it sat on land for a couple of years after. I now dock caddy corner to where it was on the same pier
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”