Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 355 rear platform access

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Carver 355 rear platform access

Postby Viper » May 3rd, 2017, 11:09 pm

The tanks are aluminum and yes they do have a bad wrap in that location. Their bottoms get riddled with pinholes as mentioned above. At least that's been my experience with a few. I can tell you that one of them did NOT reveal a leak through a pressure test but once filled with fuel, it would slowly (very slowly) seep through the pin holes. Not enough to see any actual signs of fuel in the bilge but you could sure smell it. It was just enough to sweat the bottom of the tank. A pressure test is definitely the place to start though.

Have never taken them out through the cabin. Took one look the first time and opted to go through the swim platform from then on...much easier IMO.

Topic author
Elliott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 355 aft. 1998
registered boat name, Point Zero
Location: From Montreal , Canada, Boat in 1000 islands Ontario canada

Postby Elliott » May 4th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Viper,your note was a very disturbing read. I can not imagine how a company like Carver would make a boat with a tank problem.What could be more basic to boating safety than having a proper fuel system. Bad gelcoat, stringers, finishing etc ,well, one would get what one pays for, but fuel system integrity should never be on the line.
How do these tanks get pinholes, and, what about the main tanks, or are your comments just relegated to the auxiliary tank?
After reading the post prior to yours I had decided that I would not bother with trying the tank, as once there is a problem I would have to go further.,and the smell is a warning of a hazard.
Also,when you state,"take them about by the swim platform" I assume you mean cutting the back of the boat open.

Thanks
Elliott
Point Zero

See our band, Switchback,
Light my fire 2012, finale,with Robbie Krieger of THE DOORS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcQq7-YWnDE company

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2017, 7:35 am

You cut a hole on the top of the platform and remove the tank from there. Then it's just a matter of fastening and glassing in some battens, fastening and glassing in the section you cut out, and either re-non-skid the whole platform or simply applying a composite flooring product like NuTeak or something similar.

Ever see a stern thruster on one of these boats?

Elliott wrote:Source of the post.....I can not imagine how a company like Carver would make a boat with a tank problem.....

I doubt it was anything Carver foresaw happening. Could have been a poor or low quality batch of aluminum the tank manufacturer used when they produced a quantity for Carver, or the way the tanks were installed, hard to say. My theory is that for the most part, people rarely use these tanks. I suspect they often sit pretty empty and collect a lot of water from condensation, the effects of ethanol, etc. This would definitely contribute to bottom corrosion as that's where the water would sit. This auxiliary/saddle tank issue is actually pretty common with other brands too in my experience, not necessarily a "Carver" specific issue.

I've actually never had to replace any main tanks on a Carver but I can comfortably say that's not the case with some other brands, and they've been a mix of bottom pinhole leaks or bad welds. Whether that's a coincidence or not I don't know but I do know we've had a couple of threads here re main tank replacement on Mariners if I recall.

Topic author
Elliott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Elliott » May 5th, 2017, 10:44 am

Thanks, that was informative.
Maybe you know the answer to the following.
At the bottom of the rear steps, on the platform, there is a square section as wide as the steps, about 16x16 that appears as if the platform was cutout. The previous owner may have had a small issue and serviced it, but during my first summer last year 3 sides of this square seemed to have moisture coming out,. No softness at all.
I thought I would have to open it up and re glass the section of the deck, but, in my discoveries last weekend of the inside of the platform, I examined the area very carefully and there was no cutout on the inside or breakthrough whatsoever. It was just solid fibreglass.
So , I was thinking of grinding out the 3 sides the square that show the outline, cleaning it up and re sealing it. But I have no idea what to use. In my mind a white 5200 paste would do it for me. Any Ideas,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elliott
Point Zero

See our band, Switchback,
Light my fire 2012, finale,with Robbie Krieger of THE DOORS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcQq7-YWnDE company

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Hi elliot I can suggest while you are concerning yourself with the rear platform is to remove the oem dock box and investigate each mounting hole for rot and repair and rebed. This is a known issue with 355 405 families. I have repaired my 405 and suggested this to others there has been issues with bad sealing and rot of the decks.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2017, 6:35 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post Hi elliot I can suggest while you are concerning yourself with the rear platform is to remove the oem dock box and investigate each mounting hole for rot and repair and rebed. This is a known issue with 355 405 families.....

+1

Elliott wrote:Source of the post....At the bottom of the rear steps, on the platform, there is a square section as wide as the steps, about 16x16 that appears as if the platform was cutout. The previous owner may have had a small issue and serviced it, but during my first summer last year 3 sides of this square seemed to have moisture coming out,. No softness at all.
I thought I would have to open it up and re glass the section of the deck, but, in my discoveries last weekend of the inside of the platform, I examined the area very carefully and there was no cutout on the inside or breakthrough whatsoever. It was just solid fibreglass....

Sounds like a poor glass and possibly core repair to me. In such a case, it's not necessary to cut all the way through. One would simply cut the top layer of glass, then remove the core while leaving the bottom layer of glass intact. This gives you a glassed in surface to work with and lay your new core into.

Elliott wrote:Source of the post.....I was thinking of grinding out the 3 sides the square that show the outline, cleaning it up and re sealing it. But I have no idea what to use. In my mind a white 5200 paste would do it for me. Any Ideas,

Take a sounding, you may have delamination there, and trapped moisture. Do a core sample to check it's condition of the areas in question and if it reveals an issue, remove the questionable section and do a proper fiberglass repair. Don't use caulking or you'll be starting another thread about it again in the near future. Caulking doesn't last forever.

Topic author
Elliott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Elliott » May 5th, 2017, 11:16 pm

thank you. I will look. into this
Elliott
Point Zero