Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine alignment (left to right) - Mariner

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Engine alignment (left to right) - Mariner

Postby amanphoto » June 17th, 2017, 9:32 am

What is the trick to shifting the engine left or right for alignment? I have lossened all four bolts that secure the engine lateral adjustment rods. The engine needs to rotate clockwise slightly to line up with the prop shaft. I tried using a crowbar and prying against the engine and the mount. It did not budge. Any suggestions?

I have a Mariner with a velvet transmission and direct mount Walter v drive. I can not turn the propeller shafts by hand. I'm assuming the engines need alignment.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Engine alignment (left to right) - Mariner

Postby Viper » June 17th, 2017, 9:55 am

A longer bar for leverage if it'll fit or a small bottle jack can be used to move laterally. To rotate, it's a matter of lowering or lifting one side more than the other.

What makes you think it's out of alignment? Is there a vibration? Have you unfastened the coupler from the tranny flange and taken proper alignment measurements before you move the engine?

Have you first checked to ensure the running gear is properly aligned; ie strut is properly aligned with the shaft tube through the hull?

Where are you trying to turn the shafts from, inside the boat or outside? From the inside is not easy to do.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » June 17th, 2017, 10:43 pm

I have tried to rotate the shafts from the inside with the shafts unbolted from the v-drive. I am using a feeler gauge to Check.

There is the same boat at the marina and I checked the shaft rotation on his boat. Also when I had the boat inspected they mentioned they might need to be aligned. My shafts have different tension between the two of them. One is has a lot of tension and the other has little.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 18th, 2017, 6:39 am

May it just be the packing is tighter on one?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”