Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fireboy-Xintex Gas Fume Detector alarm

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
BiggerBoat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 4227 CPMY
Twin Mercruiser MEI 340

Fireboy-Xintex Gas Fume Detector alarm

Postby BiggerBoat » September 16th, 2023, 6:36 pm

The M-2A display is mounted in the salon of my 1988 4227. I noticed that the "Unit fault indicator" was amber color. Sensor #1 is off, sensor #2 is green. The 'test' buttons don't do anything. Serial number on back of unit indicate manufacture date in 1995. Called Fireboy for some assistance, no answer, probably because it's the weekend? So posting to see if anyone knows something about this system.
I'm assuming the unit fault indicator means the gas fume sensor is bad. Is this a good assumption?
If so, I cannot find the sensor! Have searched all over the engine room. Any ideas where that sensor might be located??
Thank you
Larry Klein
1988 4227
Stillwater MN

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Fireboy-Xintex Gas Fume Detector alarm

Postby Midnightsun » September 16th, 2023, 6:49 pm

The remote sensor tends to fail after X amount of years. May need to get a new one. When I had a gas boat I tested the sensor every year with a butane lighter, no fire, just hold the lighter very close by and let the butane out which will set it off.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 16th, 2023, 7:12 pm

Look low down in the engine compartment....perhaps on a stringer between the engines....but should be low.....maybe grey colored wire. Sometimes they get knocked loose and are floating in the bilge.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 16th, 2023, 10:49 pm

Interesting that the alarm panel is in the salon, rather than at the helm. Are you sure it's a bilge sensor? Do you use any propane or NG aboard? If the TEST buttons don't do anything, I wonder if you have bigger issues with the alarm panel.

If it is a bilge sensor then should be located low on a bulkhead, but not so low that it could get wet from water splashing around in the bilge. Mine were always mounted about 1/2 way down the bulkhead. You might end up having to follow some wiring if you can't find it.

Looks like this is the model for you detectors. On the Xintex site it looks like they are discontinued.
fume_sensor1.jpg

This is what the newer Xintex detectors use, but they don't seem to be compatible with the older panels
fume_sensor2.jpg

This is the type that mine used, but mine were mounted on an off-white round base instead of this rectangular black box.
fume_sensor3.jpg

This is the replaceable sensor itself (at least on the version I used, and on the hand-held detector I have):
fume_sensor4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author United States of America
BiggerBoat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 4227 CPMY
Twin Mercruiser MEI 340

Postby BiggerBoat » September 18th, 2023, 1:25 am

This 4227 is a CPMY, so it has flybridge and inside helm which is where this alarm panel is located. There is an alarm in the flybridge when halon would drop, that works. Boat does not have propane nor NG. Very difficult to follow wires in a boat but will have to give that a try this week. Their web site indicates M-2A is still available.
IMG_1926.JPEG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Klein
1988 4227
Stillwater MN

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”