Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Noisy Starboard transmission...rich engine

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 gas

Re: Noisy Starboard transmission...rich engine

Postby 405driver » March 24th, 2017, 2:15 pm

While we are waiting on the injectors and the FPR, thought I would post pictures of the plugs that came out of the engine. I am also including Wednesday's idle fuel pressure reading. As above, the pressure fluctuated from about 36-41 in a fairly rapid manner.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 24th, 2017, 3:14 pm

405driver wrote:Source of the postI am also including Wednesday's idle fuel pressure reading. As above, the pressure fluctuated from about 36-41 in a fairly rapid manner.

It would be interesting to see a vacuum gauge alongside that fuel pressure gauge. If the vacuum is fluctuating, the pressure will fluctuate. If the engine speed was also fluctuating, that could explain both. For testing, you can isolate them by removing and plugging the vacuum lines to the manifold and applying an appropriate vacuum ~15 inches) to the fuel pressure regulators.

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » March 24th, 2017, 3:31 pm

If replacing the FPR and cleaning the injectors doesn't have any effect, that will be next...can't do anything right now with the engine apart.

Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm

I have a question for you 405....the above plug pics, do you know which cylinders they came from ????....was the engine only idling before you pulled them ???.....dont read anything into it just curious???
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » March 24th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Came from 1 and 6....

Yes... mostly about 2200 rpm lately...

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 24th, 2017, 5:22 pm

The pics of the plugs in the board look to be 8 plugs.....those are what I was asking about, do you mean 1 and 6 are the very top two pics??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » March 24th, 2017, 5:31 pm

1 and 6 are the individual pics.... what I thought were the worst ones...

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 25th, 2017, 8:29 am

After looking at your pics and giving them some thought , those plugs to me have had a fair amount of fuel over them....just a rich condition will make the plugs look furry black, not shiny like they are,now the ceramic has some colour,which is good, that is why I asked about idling or running.....to add, there is at least one of them that looks like it may not have been firing , probably due to the overfueling.....now all this being said I have no idea why this is happening as I have no experience with efi systems,so can't recommend what to do....... if it was a carb that would be different......oh one thing else, IMHO when you get this resolved the first thing I would do is change the oil in that engine , before you beat on it ,as it has seen some fuel ........:beergood:

405driver
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby 405driver » March 25th, 2017, 9:11 am

I agree...when we finally come to some sort of conclusion to this, I'm going to change the oil in both engines and the generator.

I have been told if there is fuel in the oil that if you hold the dipstick straight down, the oil will drip off the dipstick...mine hangs on the dipstick normally. Thought that was interesting.

Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 25th, 2017, 9:22 am

Oh I think oil is cheap enough, wouldn't hang on that one....get it.. :lol:

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”