Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Installing Flooring in Carver Mariner

Postby bud37 » April 12th, 2017, 1:00 pm

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post What are you using for flooring and glue???

I've checked with several flooring manufactures. They do not recommend installing their laminate flooring in a boat because it is not climate controlled. Has anyone had issues with installed flooring warping or releasing from heat of cold?

In our last boat there was some of the laminate flooring (box store stuff) with what appeared to be an adhesive backing, anyway it was stuck fine everywhere except on the centre hatch where there was no edging to hold it and when you would lift the hatch it loosened it,worse in the cold....sorry I just can't recall the name of it, it looked fine and if the hatch had some trim around it,we would not even have noticed that........... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » April 12th, 2017, 1:15 pm

bud, I was thinking, I may screw in in couple places on the hatches from bottom so it does not go through top of laminate, but between glue and some screws from bottom would make it pretty strong stable even if no edging.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » April 12th, 2017, 1:32 pm

It's not the heat they say. It's the cold will make the glue release. But I'm not sure what the issue is. My Monterey has vinyl type of flooring glued down on the steps. No issues there.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 12th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I think it was just the simple act of handling the hatch which loosens the edge a bit each time, kinda like the edge of a bandaid....like I said the rest was just fine.......was not a problem in the summer at all........

Edit..... This flooring I had may be a bit different than what you have, it was a bit flexible and had a peal off sticky back :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Bryon857
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 carver 350 mariner

Postby Bryon857 » April 15th, 2017, 8:54 am

Still work on my floor this weekend. Seems every board need a cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 15th, 2017, 1:21 pm

That looks soooo much better than carpet. I can't let my wife see these pictures or I know what my next project will be.

Great looking job so far!

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » April 15th, 2017, 2:32 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post That looks soooo much better than carpet. I can't let my wife see these pictures or I know what my next project will be.

Great looking job so far!

I am thinking of only showing my admiral the finished product..... if she saw all the work it would be no-start.

Looking good!!

Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
Bryon857
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bryon857 » April 15th, 2017, 11:31 pm

[image][/image] still working, lots of work, lots of cuts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » April 17th, 2017, 11:16 am

Bryon looks good, I know its pain in the rear-end though cutting every plank. Only if I did not have so many hatches :) Mine is nearly done, doing some final touch ups and wrapping up.

United States of America
Bryon857
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Bryon857 » April 23rd, 2017, 9:46 pm

Had to pull up some boards and start over in salon. Had some gaps in boards and was not as straight has I liked. Back on track now. Got a couple hatches done. Hopefully will be closer to done this weekend. Will never take on again, to many cuts. Hatchs are a nightmare.

Return to “The Project Center”