Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Best Wax & Procedure

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Re: Best Wax & Procedure

Postby grizer » October 24th, 2018, 8:11 pm

@hugo, hey i spoke w marine 31, they have discontinued their “coating” product you mentioned.

United States of America
Rich W
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 350 Aft Cabin

Sandy's Riches

Postby Rich W » November 12th, 2018, 9:30 pm

I have had great success with Shurhold Yacht Brite products. I have used them on two newer boats, and they have helped maintain the finish. One was black hull, the other maroon.....those colors can be tough to keep up.....no problem with the Shurhold products. You compound with Buff Magic.....with either wool pad or foam. Then finish with ProPolish. This is their po I'mlymer based polish/wax. They have great instructions online. If you do as instructed...you can't beat the results. My latest boat is 93 350 Aft cabin. The gelcoat looks like new......pretty much all season....I am in upstate New York. I get compliments all the time. The Shurhold site will ship directly to you.....very reliable.

Good friend of mine had the ceramic coating done on his 2014 Monterey (black gelcoat). Came out beautiful..... pretty much maintenance free....above my price range however......

Rich

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 13th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Hello All! 2 cents worth from survey of users. I work part time in a marine store and one thing I can tell you, everyone has their personal favorites. Meguiar's users are probably the most loyal and passionate. I have used a plethora of products. It all comes down to how much work you really want to do. More work...more shine for longer time. One caution: high speed wheels will burn gelcoat pretty quickly.

Grizer - Carver used Ultra Gelcoat by Ferro for a number of years, 99% sure it was used in 98. You may want to contact them for recommendation. They have several Ohio locations. https://www.ferro.com/contact/global-lo ... %20America

My personal choice is less work. I stay away from cutter's. If the finish gets bad enough to require a cutter, I hire a professional. I really like Colonite products, using a number of their products, both multiple and single step. Having said that, I recently used Mequiar's one step #50 cleaner wax, and I am impressed with the application and removal process. Colonite is runny, Meguiar's is perfectly pastey. Used a slow speed orbital buffer to apply, with a terry cloth bonnet. Removed with clean terry cloth towels by hand. Polished with a lambswool bonnet as a final step. Looks nice, but now I need to see how long it will last. I may put on a coat of Mequiar's wax in the spring. The boat is in warm storage right now, with no exposure to sunlight. I want to see how the initial application behaves in a couple of weeks. There are some formulas that will actually continue to absorb and react to gelcoat for short periods after application. An extra coat of wax in spring should be real easy to apply to seal in and extend shine time. Great thread. Keep adding more input.

Cooler
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Aft Cabin

Postby mbenner » November 15th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Pepmyster, please give us a full report on your application when you're finished, and another at the end of next season on performance and durability. Sounds interesting...

I'm also interested on how other CYO's clean and protect their textured decks.
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 15th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Pepmyster, I second that request for report on the ceramic coating. Are you doing hull and above, or just above? A detailer friend of mine said he has done it on cars, but not on a boat yet. He said the decontamination process required for gelcoat is absolutely necessary, and adds so much labor that he knows his price would be prohibitive. That plus he is waiting for actual results of time durability before he wants to "test" it out on a boat. Apparently, the product he would use has only been out a couple years. He does not want to expose himself to complaints if it ends up being a single season remedy. I can't wait to hear how this works. Just love that depth effect on Formula and Cobalt boats. If ceramic creates that look, I would give it a go. Can't wait!

Michael, when you say textured, do you mean the non-skid? Cooler
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
mbenner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Aft Cabin

Postby mbenner » November 15th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Yes, the non-skid surface is what I meant.
Michael Benner
The Black Rose
1993 Carver 300
mbenner1950@yahoo.com

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » November 15th, 2018, 6:19 pm

There are a couple of non-skid cleaners out there, but I avoid using them. If there is any wax or finishing element to them, you are basically defeating the real purpose to non-skid which could end up with slips and falls. I have too many visitor's that enjoy free drinks, so I am really conservative. BUT, I clean the non-skid with a pressure washer once a month. I am also fortunate to have a couple of dock hands that clean boats on the side. Just a light, non-greasy boat soap, as needed. They charge $20 an hour, use my brushes and soap, and it only takes them an hour to do the non-skid. Those kids will do a lot of work for not a lot of money, especially if you have a surprise pizza delivered to their building once in a while.

Finally, I put up a small message with vinyl lettering, requesting "no shoes on deck". People see it, they are not offended, and they do not grind in any dirt in the non-skid. If they ask, I tell them it is for their safety, lots of shoes slip easily on fiberglass.

Cooler
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 16th, 2018, 2:32 am

The people in the slip next to my boat swear by Barkeepers Friend in the powder form. Looking at their non-skid areas on their boat look really good. I am thinking of giving it a try next season.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 16th, 2018, 9:08 am

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post I am a clean freak. I want our baby to shine like no other! Used so many types of waxes, This spring, I'm doing a ceramic coating on it. Gotta try this......

What is this ceramic coating, how is it applied ?

I have bags full of the next greatest potion to make your boat shine with little to no work.... HA ! Tried them all over the years, with lambs wool, foam, towels , microfibre, you name it....all the same result, tired old guy, boat looks ok but ultimately fades again. I honestly believe that there is one solution to this dilemma, get the boat painted and be done with it ( even that may be troublesome if there are no reputable shops around :-O )....either that or keep buying new boats as the gel gets faded and gets chalky :-D

:beergood: ... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Admiral Grew, the guys on the dock use an 'off the shelf' cleaner called 'Soft Scrub' on the non skid surfaces. Works pretty good, but I don't think it's environmentally friendly.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”