Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shore Power Question

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Re: Shore Power Question

Postby Sadey » December 20th, 2018, 10:21 am

I see the two chargers but don’t see the amp draw and wondered, charged or powered by the other shore power connection? Finally called Carver gave them the HID and they gave me the straight poop.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm

Went to visit the boat today to solve a mystery or two. I looked at the shore power connections and ther are simply labeled shore power one in shore power too. It would appear though that shore power one is for all of the AC powered appliances and outlets. Sure power two is strictly for the air conditioning units. I also feel a little silly because I found the battery switch for the generator. I forgot that the one particular switch was for the generator. It’s also conveniently labeled. I have two separate switches, one for each engine that are labeled and one master battery switch underneath the steps. Just wondering, I have all of the switches off currently. When I go to the boat I turn the switch on underneath the step. While I am there I plug-in the AC to power the lights. With the battery switches off for the motors, does the battery charger still charge those batteries?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 21st, 2018, 7:19 pm

If it is properly wired, the battery chargers will charge no matter what position the switches are in. Also, when the batter switches are off you still have power to our CO2 detectors, volt meters and bilge pumps. If you on the hard, you may want to shut off the volt meter and co2 breakers or your batteries will die without a/c power to the charger.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 22nd, 2018, 6:14 am

I have gone through all three circuit panels and the battery switch panel and shut every thing down. I only have the outlets and battery chargers switches on at the main breaker panel. It is nice having the ability to turn everything off but the panel under the bench seat on the bridge is a pain to get at. Thank you to all for the help and suggestions. What a great group!
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 22nd, 2018, 6:16 am

Sadey wrote:Source of the post Went to visit the boat today to solve a mystery or two. I looked at the shore power connections and ther are simply labeled shore power one and shore power two. It would appear though that shore power one is for all of the AC powered appliances and outlets. Sure power two is strictly for the air conditioning units. I also feel a little silly because I found the battery switch for the generator. I forgot that the one particular switch was for the generator. It’s also conveniently labeled. I have two separate switches, one for each engine that are labeled and one master battery switch underneath the steps. Just wondering, I have all of the switches off currently. When I go to the boat I turn the switch on underneath the step. While I am there I plug-in the AC to power the lights. With the battery switches off for the motors, does the battery charger still charge those batteries?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 22nd, 2018, 7:44 am

If you are concerned about power usage over the winter from your CO detectors, you can simply open the covers on the units themselves and unplug the feed wiring.....instead of dealing with the breaker........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 22nd, 2018, 9:09 am

So your saying I must go to the boat again...oh ok, if I have to.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 22nd, 2018, 10:28 am

Next to your battery switch you should have breakers for CO detectors, bilge pumps and voltmeters. You should also have a "bridge main" breaker, which feed the panel under the bench seat. With this breaker turned off there is no need to shut of the individual breakers under the seat.

Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Agradecida
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 22nd, 2018, 9:12 pm

Will that breaker be at the helm or down below?
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » December 22nd, 2018, 10:43 pm

Sadey wrote:Source of the post So your saying I must go to the boat again...oh ok, if I have to.

You should never need an "excuse" to go to the boat. Going to the boat is a rite. Anyway, hope you figure out the issue.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Electrical”