Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mariner / Santego?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Mariner / Santego?

Postby pepmyster » February 15th, 2019, 6:06 am

Welcome to the group!!!!!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 15th, 2019, 6:43 am

Here's three good tips:
- get a survey
- and while you're at it, it's a good idea to have a survey done
- and finally for peace of mind, have a pro do a survey
;-)

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 15th, 2019, 8:01 am

Since Viper cannot cover all bases I will add you should get a survey.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
BenTen
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3697 Mariner - "We'll Sea"

Postby BenTen » February 15th, 2019, 9:03 am

Really think about your desired use of the new boat, from what I saw when I was researching, the main difference between the Santego and the Mariner was that the Mariner had more interior room, while the Santego had a better designed exterior (rear in particular). If you plan to spend more time on the swim deck then the Santego may be better for you.

For me, and my families planned use, the Mariner made more sense since there was more interior space but still ample exterior space for cruising. I am speaking from the 36ft-38ft perspective but I think these comparisons hold up for the 32's as well.

Once you've decided on the layout/model that you prefer, the professional survey is your obvious next step, you really want to remove the emotion at this point and purchase the best boat that you can afford. If more repairs are needed than you can justify, walk away, another boat will become available soon enough. I would also say that its good to remember that even the boat with the best survey will require some sweat equity eventually, or at least a steady payment to a mechanic if you aren't 'handy'.

HTH, Ben in SC
Thanks,
Ben in SC

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Postby Craig_B » February 15th, 2019, 9:27 am

Thanks for all the replies.
I should have included that the engines on the Santego are 5.7 mercruiser stern drives not Volvo and the Mariner has 5.7 V drive. I think.
I have wondered about that myself but am more familiar with stern drives than the direct drive type. I do like the better fuel economy aspect of the stern drives. Would it be significant?
A new survey is definatley going to happen wouldn't consider purchasing a boat without one. There is a survey a couple of years old for the Santego I have already looked at.
The Santego also has about half the hours of the Mariner.
I. Had a look at the Mariner and will be looking at the Santego soon. If their layouts are similar I may lean toward the Santego (lower hours).

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 15th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Our Mariner 5.7L Crusaders had 1,300 hrs on them and were clean as a whistle on the inside when I put rebuilt long blocks in her. The rebuilds were not done do to the hours, but for a mistake I made installing a new distributor. There are those of us that feel low hours are not always a good sign, boat sat more than it got run and that can be worst than a lot of hours internally depending what type of water she sat in. IMO!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 15th, 2019, 5:30 pm

I like the idea of going with the lower hours when given the choice and here is my reasoning. If all goes well with the surveys , consider this, what is the first question anyone asks ( how many hours ).....so consider a boat with 1500 hours, well maintained etc and you keep it for 3 years at 100 hours a year, you are now at 1800 hours, so how would you consider an 1800 hour gas boat, what is it's value now ?? I know of course there have been many, many gas boat engines that go way beyond, but that doesn't help when you want to sell and are confronted with the hour thing.

Other side, same thing starting at 800 hours, so I think you see what I mean.A lot of this hinges on what you are paying for each boat, compared to market value. The fuel diff between v drives and i/o I believe to be very little, it is all dependant on how much HP you use when cruising anyway.

Good luck with your search...I guess you will have to sweat the three month wait to finalize.... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Postby Craig_B » February 15th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Thanks to all.
This will be our first "Big boat".
Come on Spring!!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 16th, 2019, 2:20 am

You can take two identical boats. One with inboards and one with I/O's. The I/O boat will always outperform the inboard boat in just about all aspects with the exception of low speed close quarters handling in most cases. BoatTest has tested over the years several boats identical with the exception of I/O's vs inboards.

My last boat a 30 footer like my Carver had twin I/O's. It got way better fuel economy and it was 1200 lbs heavier than my Carver. Both were powered by twin 5.7's. The 3055 Bayliner averaged 1.5 mpg over the 12 seasons I had her. The Carver .86 mpg over the 3+ seasons I have had her. The Bayliner topped out at 45 mph cruised at 30. The Carver tops out at 25 mph and cruises at 17.

Not an apples to apples comparison as the Carver is a sedan and the Bayliner was an express model. Both had 15 degree deadrise at the transom so that similarity is there too. While the Bayliner was a roomy 30 footer it does not compare to the 30 foot Carver. Of course the Carver is an aft-cabin while the Bayliner was not.

These are just my thoughts and opinions and others may differ in theirs, and that's fine.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 16th, 2019, 5:55 am

This article comes to mind when discussing the advantages/efficiency of I/O vs Sterndrive. Bottom line is a sterndrive is much more efficient. https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/to-v-or-not-to-v
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”