Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aft Deck TV

Topic author United States of America
Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 AC

Aft Deck TV

Postby Danpmart » May 4th, 2020, 8:49 pm

We just purchased a new to us 355 AC and would like to add a TV to the aft deck. Can any of you post pictures of how you have mounted TV’s on your deck. I would like to have it on the port side above the wet bar / ice maker. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Aft Deck TV

Postby g36 » May 5th, 2020, 6:43 am

Have you looked at ceiling flip down tv mounts? Lots out there many are used in rv's . Can be flipped up when not in use. Or maybe depending on TV size mount to back of seat with a swivel mount.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2020, 9:51 am

The flip down mounts are great but if your ceiling is anything like mine, it'll be hollow and the bottom shell is just glass with no core. I can't recall if the 355s are the same. There'd be no backer for the fasteners to bite into and spread the load. Mine would also be too flexible to mount a decent sized TV there. G36, is yours like that or is it one solid piece?

If you have a hollow ceiling like mine, push up on it, if it flexes, the bottom layer has no core. If that's the case, I would consider finding a mount that you could fasten to the bench's back support brackets. Do a Google search, you'll see a ton of options.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 5th, 2020, 10:30 am

I believe the 355 top is very much the same as my 405 which has 2 different areas in the aft ceiling. There is large recessed area in the middle with a thicker section that circles the entire top where the floor to roof supports are.. The entire top is hollow however the thicker section has room for speakers mounted so greater depth and one could easily install a round access port and have access to that area for backing plate etc if needed. Its been sometime since I've had my speakers out but you cannot push up and flex these areas by hand I don't remember what glass thickness is here. This is what i believe the pictured area is.The recessed roof is thinner and can somewhat flex it. I have recessed lights in this are of the top.im sure they did this for weight and cost.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2020, 10:48 am

Y makes sense g. Mine has the same perimeter you're talking about. You can also see it in the photo above. Another thought if the ceiling doesn't work out; I wonder if there is enough room between the sliding door when it's open (where it is in the photo) and the sink cabinet to install a mount to the back of the cabinet. Might be a good location as long as opening the sink lid doesn't hit the TV.

Let us know how you make out and remember we love pics ;-)

Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Danpmart » May 5th, 2020, 8:29 pm

g36 wrote:Have you looked at ceiling flip down tv mounts? Lots out there many are used in rv's . Can be flipped up when not in use. Or maybe depending on TV size mount to back of seat with a swivel mount.

Going to have to go with a articulating arm or hardtop mounted pole. Don't think I can get a drop down one big enough.

Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Danpmart » May 5th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Y makes sense g. Mine has the same perimeter you're talking about. You can also see it in the photo above. Another thought if the ceiling doesn't work out; I wonder if there is enough room between the sliding door when it's open (where it is in the photo) and the sink cabinet to install a mount to the back of the cabinet. Might be a good location as long as opening the sink lid doesn't hit the TV.

Let us know how you make out and remember we love pics ;-)

That may be an option! I might be able to do a pole mount from the cabinet. Thanks!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm

I doubt the cabinet is built to be load bearing but you should be able to get to the inside of that back wall to add a backer where you fasten the mount. Bed it in with caulking before you thru-bolt the mount. The bigger the backer plate the more it'll spread the load. If you can extend the plate to the floor, it'll help make that area more rigid. May be overkill but you'd be surprised how much load can be exerted on a surface when you're bouncing around in rough water. How big of a screen are you thinking about?

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » May 6th, 2020, 9:38 am

My TV is mounted to a cabinet in the aft deck with a chrome pole with brackets. On the top of the pole there is a 4 point star shaped bracket is welded there. On the end of each star there is a hole that lines up with the 4 holes on the back of your TV.

I ran cable to it from the salon and the TV also has a DVD slot in the side to watch movies.

It is very solid on my application, however yours would be a bit different. You could mount to the side of your cabinet with brackets and use backing plates. You can access the back through the cabinet beside the fridge/icemaker.

Greg

Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Danpmart » May 7th, 2020, 4:30 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post I doubt the cabinet is built to be load bearing but you should be able to get to the inside of that back wall to add a backer where you fasten the mount. Bed it in with caulking before you thru-bolt the mount. The bigger the backer plate the more it'll spread the load. If you can extend the plate to the floor, it'll help make that area more rigid. May be overkill but you'd be surprised how much load can be exerted on a surface when you're bouncing around in rough water. How big of a screen are you thinking about?

Looking at adding between a 46” or 50” depending on the mount and where it is mounted. We will definitely add a backer. Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to “The Project Center”