Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Gas Smell

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Struggler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Gas Smell

Postby Struggler » July 2nd, 2020, 11:32 am

I’ve searched for this topic and have some ideas based on posts that I’ve found, but wanted to throw this out here....after running, I am smelling gas. Not after fueling. I’ve looked at fuel fill lines and vent lines and don’t see visible gas/moisture. Poked around fuel lines to the carbs and don’t see much.

Could it be just the gas in the carbs that I’m smelling?

I’ve let the blower run for 30 minutes or so after shutdown which I think helps a bit. I plan on idling 1 engine at a time to try and isolate which side it’s coming from. 85 Mariner with Crusader 220’s.

Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Gas Smell

Postby bud37 » July 2nd, 2020, 3:51 pm

The thing about gasoline fumes is they can permeate dry rotted fill hoses etc and then you smell the gas fume but there will be no visible indication....you will have to bend lines at joints to look for cracks etc.

Also most humans can smell gas fumes in very tiny amounts PPM, so it really does not have to be much of a leak.

Is this something that just started or been getting worse. Be very careful while you look for the source of this.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 46 Voyager
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » July 2nd, 2020, 4:52 pm

Struggler wrote:Source of the post I’ve searched for this topic and have some ideas based on posts that I’ve found, but wanted to throw this out here....after running, I am smelling gas. Not after fueling. I’ve looked at fuel fill lines and vent lines and don’t see visible gas/moisture. Poked around fuel lines to the carbs and don’t see much.

Could it be just the gas in the carbs that I’m smelling?

I’ve let the blower run for 30 minutes or so after shutdown which I think helps a bit. I plan on idling 1 engine at a time to try and isolate which side it’s coming from. 85 Mariner with Crusader 220’s.

Thanks

In my prev boat,gas powered Carver 396, I smelled gas initially after filling (course that was over 10 years from new), but it continued to get worse so even after running the boat, I could smell it. Turns out the fuel fill lines needed to be replaced. If you don’t see a leak in a tank, I would bet it’s hoses and as Bud37 said, you typically can’t actually SEE the issue in a fuel line unless bent.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Struggler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Struggler » July 2nd, 2020, 7:05 pm

Thanks! I will replace the vent and fill lines to eliminate that possibility. Bud37....the boat is new to me and has been sitting for a few years. Just had carbs rebuilt and engine work on it to get it seaworthy, so I don’t know if it’s new or what LOL. The mechanic did not add gas during/after the maintenance so fill line issues could have been missed.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 2nd, 2020, 9:29 pm

The tank lines should be checked, and have you checked the small clear line from the fuel pump to the carb? Also, pull your dipstick and smell the oil to see if it smells like fuel.

Struggler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Struggler » July 2nd, 2020, 10:52 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post The tank lines should be checked, and have you checked the small clear line from the fuel pump to the carb? Also, pull your dipstick and smell the oil to see if it smells like fuel.

I will check that tomorrow.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 3rd, 2020, 6:50 am

That line is supposed to be clear so you can tell if there's fuel in it. If you see any fuel in there, replace your fuel pump.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”