Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shore power (No power)

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
claytonandresen
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 42 Mariner

Shore power (No power)

Postby claytonandresen » June 22nd, 2022, 9:05 am

I have a 2004 Carver Mariner.

Yesterday when I went to my slip I noticed everything was off (connected to shore power)

Did the usual:
Checked breakers (nothing was tripped)
Checked plug (no black marks- looked fine)
Reset everything
Plug into a different shore power unit (still no power)

Generator runs everything fine- but when I switch to shore power it has 0 amps and the shore power green light doesn’t illuminate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Shore power (No power)

Postby bud37 » June 22nd, 2022, 9:39 am

I know stupid question but this is the first thing that came to mind......is the shore power actually up.......did you test the outlets or contact marina and ask them to test.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » June 22nd, 2022, 9:50 am

I have a breaker on the boat at the shore power receptacle that interrupts incoming shore power from the post. Check to see if it is off in addition to checking the post and breaker. The only other thing that comes to mind would be a bad cable/connection.

If all the power is working in the boat when the generator is running, then it sounds like it is a shore power issue as stated by Bud37.

Edit: I just had another thought. This happened to me when I had my 356. I was using my generator and all was well. I then turned the generator off and plugged into shore power, nothing. After looking into it I discovered that there was a transfer switch behind the panel. It appears to have been stuck. I gave the panel a smack with my fist and it was enough to jolt it open and everything was fine. I had to do this on other occasions as well.

Hope this helps you.

Greg

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 22nd, 2022, 10:44 am

If you've already checked the shorepower and it's OK, then THIS:>>>

Tireless wrote:Source of the post
Edit: I just had another thought. This happened to me when I had my 356. I was using my generator and all was well. I then turned the generator off and plugged into shore power, nothing. After looking into it I discovered that there was a transfer switch behind the panel. It appears to have been stuck. I gave the panel a smack with my fist and it was enough to jolt it open and everything was fine. I had to do this on other occasions as well.

There are a few threads on here where folks had problems with the relays in that transfer box and some links to sources for replacement parts. Just by cycling the generator once or twice you might be able to get the shore power to work again, but that indicates a problem with those relays, so you just might be delaying replacing them.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » June 22nd, 2022, 11:23 am

Sounds like the power destal at the marina is out. Are there any other boats near you you can check with? Once in a while, the marina owner/mgr just assumes their system is fine, until several people contact them. I once had an issue with my power tripping breaker after 10 seconds of switching on. Talked to the marina manager, he said all was normal on dock. 2 other boats had same issue. They found a wire that had separated inside a conduit run under the dock. Good luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

claytonandresen
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby claytonandresen » June 22nd, 2022, 11:40 am

Thanks for the responses. There were no breakers popped.

Marina has power, but their was a lighting strike at a nearby dock late last night the effected some boats. I’m having a electrician try a solve the problem today.

I’ll let you know the fix.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 22nd, 2022, 12:02 pm

lightning.... I'm thinking of grounding and phase issues at the marina. That could result in no breakers popped due to the voltage between the pins being wrong but when you measure they work.

Your boat perhaps wants a certain voltage between the pins to operate (more amperage by using the pins smartly). Even though a quick check on shore with something that needs only a simple connection makes it seem that all is ok.

Nevertheless: get that relay checked and get a replacement in the toolbox would be my suggestion.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 22nd, 2022, 12:06 pm

claytonandresen wrote:Source of the post Marina has power, but their was a lighting strike at a nearby dock late last night the effected some boats. I’m having a electrician try a solve the problem today.

AHA....thanks for posting....hopefully it turns out to be their problem.....good luck...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 22nd, 2022, 9:19 pm

If there's shore power to the boat, check your transfer relays behind your electrical panel. Of course if you have external breakers by the shore power inlets as Greg mentioned, check those as well, they're known to trip in a power failure event. Sometimes the mains on your panel will trip at that time too.

claytonandresen
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby claytonandresen » June 23rd, 2022, 9:41 pm

Problem solved- blew the main shore power breaker (buried behind the salon A/C).
Thank you everyone for your input.

Return to “Electrical”