Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Suggested maintenance if previous records incomplete

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Suggested maintenance if previous records incomplete

Postby dsolo » February 18th, 2017, 5:01 pm

I have twin 1997 5.7 EFI Crusader engines with Velvet transmissions. Engines have enclosed cooling. There are 525 hours on them. Maintenance records are sketchy. Records at previous marina show storage and annual maintenance performed. No other details. Based on this unknown I am looking for advice on what to check/perform. My new to me marina did annual before heated storage with no previous records. They changed oil and Recor fuel water separator filters elements on engines and generator. They did not change transmission oil, check coolant chemistry, or change the secondary fuel filters at injectors?

I have purchased the Crusader engine service manual, parts manual, and training manual for diagnostic information. A CodeMate was also purchased.

I was spoiled with a great mechanic/tech for most of my 350 I/O boating years. He got the boat in October, looked at hours and made recommendations base on great knowledge and good record keeping. He is no longer available.

Let's say I feel like a dog who caught the chased car. Now what? Are there recommendations on picking your battles? What should be done dry, what should be done in the water. What is critical to do prior to season use? What can be done as a" get to " during season.

Any help would be great. Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Suggested maintenance if previous records incomplete

Postby tomschauer » February 18th, 2017, 11:57 pm

Dan, anytime I buy a boat I change all fluids and filters regardless of maintenance records. Just piece of mind so I know for certain.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 19th, 2017, 4:09 am

Exactly what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do the same whenever I purchase a used car. You have a closed cooling system. A flush and change is in order then you know when it was done. Same for the transmissions.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » February 19th, 2017, 5:41 am

Thank you both for the replies. I figured fluids for sure. I read one of the posting regard the closed cooling flush. Is that best on the dry?

The boat being 17 yrs old should I consider replacing impellars, belts, thermostats, spark plug wires, or radiator caps? I don't want to throw money at it, but is there an ounce of prevention considering age?

The boat ran well the past fall. Just trying to be proactive.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » February 19th, 2017, 9:51 am

I did it all and suggest you do the same. Filters, belts, impellers, fluids right down to a hydraulic steering fluid change/bleed. Only thing left to do is a full coolant flush\replacement which is on top of my list come spring launch. Now I know for sure what was done and when it was done plus it teaches me the new stuff associated with the new boat.

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » February 19th, 2017, 11:10 am

My math was not right, it is a 20yr boat. I will be going thru the engines and trans. As stated it will give peace of mind and help me learn the vessel. I have the Crusader parts manual and will start my shopping list.

One more question. I have read posts on this site that Crusader parts can be crossed to automotive components. Is there a source for this conversion?
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 19th, 2017, 12:05 pm

All the above are good suggestions. I will say this about the coolant though; its effectiveness is measurable, so unless there is something that stands out as a red flag like discolouration, take a measurement to check if it's okay. If it is, spend your money on the other perishable items mentioned above first.

At this particular time, I think it more important to look after the stuff that can't be done in the water. All the above mentioned items, while important, can be looked after when launched. In fact, IMO you should only do some of them if you can run the engines right after. What I would focus on now if you haven't already done so is anodes, checking trim tab actuators for leaks, strut bearings, check shaft alignment through the struts and stern tubes, props, bottom paint, thruster props and anodes, all through hull fittings including above the water line, especially if they're plastic. The plastic fittings above the water line tend to crack right where the outer flange meets the tube section going into the hull. Hard to see so take a very close look. Check the integrity of anything bolted under the swim platform and any through bolts that might be showing signs of leaking or corrosion.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 19th, 2017, 12:28 pm

dsolo wrote:Source of the post ...I have read posts on this site that Crusader parts can be crossed to automotive components....

Some components for all brands will have and automotive cross reference as they typically originate from the automotive market. With some components however, like a starter, alternator, fuel pump, distributors and components, etc., you must use marine rated/approved parts for safety reasons. As far as some of the sensors are concerned, when it comes to EFI, you best make sure the cross specs are exactly the same as the OEM or you'll run into problems. Falling into a spec range isn't good enough.

This is TB (throttle body) injection correct? If so, you'r model may have an in-line fuel filter canister close to the TB. If so, change it as well as people usually neglect to replace them.

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » February 19th, 2017, 2:05 pm

Viper, you are correct, they are troddle bodies and have in-line fuel filters. I was disappointed when I realized they had not been changed. I will make sure they are replaced.

Replacing three above water thru hull vents. Two of them were fuel vents. Discovered during survey last fall. Will double check all for cracks.

I have been all over the swim platform. Found some water damage at transom storage box anchors. All fasteners are being reattached in epoxy plugs.

Found loose anodes on drive shafts. One had slid down and was resting on strut. Where should they be positioned?

Should there be anodes on the trim tabs? There are none currently.

Found cracked cover on trim tab pump, but no leaks. Will check fluid level.

Props look good. No cracks or dings showing. Should they be inspected for balance?

Will double check raw water intakes. Valves also.

Bottom paint must wait until fall. The marina service department indicated the sand blasting and epoxy seal is best done in late summer / early fall.

Hull was gone over pretty well by surveyor this past fall.

Thanks to all. Don't know what I would have done without all you knowledge.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » February 19th, 2017, 2:11 pm

To add to the above, shaft alignment will be check prior to launch. Surveyor suspected port side alignment off a bit.

Viper how do I check the bearing seals out of water?
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”