Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

454XLi exhaust manifold replacement 96 Carver 400

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 454XLi exhaust manifold replacement 96 Carver 400

Postby km1125 » July 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm

You sure that's rounded off?? Looks like a 12 point bolt to me

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 11th, 2019, 12:31 pm

With only one left you can also take the plugs out and stuff each hole with a rubber stopper or wadd of paper towel so nothing drops in. You can then break the manifold loose on the far side from the bolt and have someone rotate it around the stuck bolt while you put tension on the stuck bolt to break it free. Just moving the manifold up and down about 1/2 inch is all you need to help things along.

Topic author United States of America
hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 400

Postby hausherrs » July 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Thats an idea... I thought of trying to rotate the manifold, just a little. Its pulling away at cyl #1. There is a 1/8 gap, maybe 1/16, you can put a flat tip screwdriver in between. Again this is cyl #5.

It is a 12pt but the all the "points" are rusted off or rounded. I also thinking about tapping a smaller socket on there and trying to get an impact on there. Or get an Irwin bolt extractor and put it on the impact.

Anyway, i have to get an arsenal together, plan A, B, C, and D......

A) Wiggle manifold
B) Tap on socket and try the impact, If not, try breaker bar
C) Irwin bot extractor
D) Air hammer the bolt out. If that dosent work just cut the head off..

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 11th, 2019, 2:32 pm

That may be an ARP exhaust bolt...they are hardened........So I am not there, but just be careful prying on that bolt with the manifold........the head can be cracked around the bolt hole area easier than you think.....bolt extractor first.......again good luck and take your time.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Also, not sure what size that is, but you might try a 12 point metric that is just a bit smaller and tapping that on there.

I would not pry on the manifold, just pivot it at the bolt back and forth.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 12th, 2019, 10:30 am

hausherrs wrote:Source of the post Thats an idea... I thought of trying to rotate the manifold, just a little. Its pulling away at cyl #1. There is a 1/8 gap, maybe 1/16, you can put a flat tip screwdriver in between. Again this is cyl #5.

It is a 12pt but the all the "points" are rusted off or rounded. I also thinking about tapping a smaller socket on there and trying to get an impact on there. Or get an Irwin bolt extractor and put it on the impact.

Anyway, i have to get an arsenal together, plan A, B, C, and D......

A) Wiggle manifold
B) Tap on socket and try the impact, If not, try breaker bar
C) Irwin bot extractor
D) Air hammer the bolt out. If that dosent work just cut the head off..

If it were me I would get myself a complete new set of exhaust bolts before installing the new manifold assembly....no telling what abuse the current set has gone thru....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 12th, 2019, 11:20 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post If it were me I would get myself a complete new set of exhaust bolts before installing the new manifold assembly....no telling what abuse the current set has gone thru....

I have all new parts for all 4 manifolds. Gaskets, block off plates, riser bolts, manifold bolts, and water fittings/hoses.

km1125 wrote:Source of the post not sure what size that is, but you might try a 12 point metric

Its a 12pt 3/8in.. So whats smaller then that? 9mm?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 12th, 2019, 1:50 pm

hausherrs wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:Source of the post not sure what size that is, but you might try a 12 point metric

Its a 12pt 3/8in.. So whats smaller then that? 9mm?

Yes, that would be it... unless you have a 9.25mm socket!

Another thing I've done is sacrifice an old feeler guage, cut it in strips and use it to fill in the 'gaps' in the socket while I tap it on. But I can't imagine trying to do that while upside down and backwards working on a manifold bolt!

Seems like such a small bolthead (and socket) to be putting any appreciable torque on it! I'll have to check my risers. They have 12 pt bolts but I've long forgotten what size they were.

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 12th, 2019, 3:45 pm

My riser had 6pt 9/16in bolts...

Speaking of risers' im still trying to get the one off this manifold with the stuck bolt. I cut the exhaust pipe (Metal reinforced Rubber hose) with my saws-all. That worked amazingly well... That thing is hungry! But the hose was rusted on and now thats clear and a non-issue. The studs on the riser are completely rusted on... I guess it didnt see me bring my air hammer with me. Things are about to get nasty!

hausherrs
First Mate
First Mate

Postby hausherrs » July 12th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I know everyone likes pictures....

Progress....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”